Welcome to DealerRefresh Forums!

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking thelink above. You may have to Register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Silly Shit in the car business! Post your favorite!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Jeff Kershner, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Jeff Kershner

Jeff Kershner Founder Staff Member

First Name:
    Jeff
    Company:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter:
    dealerrefresh
    Our industry is many times full of laughs, huge egos and sometimes straight up full of dumb shit.

I thought I would start a light hearted thread where we can all showcase or vent about something that either pisses you off or makes you laugh about our industry.

This is ALL in good fun. If you don't agree, have some thick skin and take it for what it is. Life it too short to allow your ego get the best of you...

I'll start of with this....

VIN_Google_baby.png

This is too funny. Seriously...who was sitting there and decided to say this and then thought it would tweet worthy? HAHA! Those VIN guys kill me.

I was 8 steps into the Dealer.com party at NADA before some VIN sales guy starts pitching me. I looked at him and said "are you serious?..I'm at a party and your going to approach me, not even know my name and hard pitch me? Get lost!" - gotta love the "passion" right!

So yeah - I have little hostility cooped up. But I'm over it now.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Alex Snyder

Alex Snyder Administrator Staff Member

First Name:
    Alex
    Company:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter:
    axsnyder
    That definitely goes down as the greatest tweet of all time....this week at least.

When I showed it to someone this is what he had to say:

3. jimbell

jimbell Getting Refreshed

First Name:
    Jim
    Company:
    Don Ayres Honda
    This one tops everyhthing....A salesman that I worked with "up'd" this pretty good looking lady. They went through the process in picking out a car and went on a test drive. They were gone for a good 2 hours. They came back and then she left in her car. The next day, she came in with her husband and went to the salesman and said, "I know what you did with my wife, so I want a great deal on this car." Well, he sold the car and made a $3500 payable and a good time.
  4. Ed Brooks

Ed Brooks Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Ed
    Company:
    vAuto - 402.427.0157
    Twitter:
    VelocitySales
    So no break on the car, huh? NICE! :lol:
  5. mattwatson81

mattwatson81 Getting Refreshed

First Name:
    Matt
    Company:
    Stackify
    Now this is silly:

[​IMG]
  6. Ryan Leslie

Ryan Leslie Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Ryan
    Company:
    DealerRater
    Twitter:
    jrleslie
  7. ECURB

ECURB Refresher

First Name:
    Bruce
    Company:
    BMW of Ridgefield
    This is strangely passive aggressive for DR...

Why didn't you just start an "I hate VinSolutions" thread... lol
  8. Mitchell Brenner

Mitchell Brenner Refresher

First Name:
    Mitchell
    Company:
    Precision Acura of Princeton
    Exactly what this thread is! As I said we're not idiots! Agendas always show through. Now I can say that this "hate" probably comes from their being a great company with great ideas which other companies envy! (Although why Dealer.Com would be involved I don't know since they have their own strengths)

9. Jeff Kershner

First Name:
    Jeff
    Company:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter:
    dealerrefresh
    Bruce, you're probably right. Though it was not intended to come across that way - at least I don't think so. We sometimes maybe do things and not even realize what we're doing or how it will be viewed by others.

Heck - I've been personally slammed many times across other forums, including my own. I've received my fair share of emails when someone didn't agree with my views or opinions. I take it and move on.

I don't hate VIN. No reason to, though they do like to push the boundaries on sales pitches here in the forums. And I will admit that has a way of twisting me at times.

I'd believe if it were a huge slam on VIN, Matt would have spoken up. I'll apologize here if it was taken that way - it wasn't my intention. Funny thing..while typing this - 3 VIN staff members have quickly signed up on the forums. :)
  10. Mitchell Brenner

Mitchell Brenner Refresher

First Name:
    Mitchell
    Company:
    Precision Acura of Princeton
    At least you see how this could have been taken! That shows the quality of the person you are. It certainly came off wrong if your intent was humor!

Now back to silly things in the car business my favorite was when one of my fellow salespeople 20 years ago had his father come in to buy a car and he greeted his father by saying "Hi Dad My name is ... Nice to meet you. How can I help you today!"

11. Jeff Kershner

First Name:
    Jeff
    Company:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter:
    dealerrefresh

edited.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  12. Jeff Kershner

First Name:
    Jeff
    Company:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter:
    dealerrefresh
    Thanks Mitchell - it honestly was humor.

Want another good laugh? Read the comments in this post from http://www.dealerrefresh.com/grant-c...s-it-the-gpod/
  13. Brian Tucker

Brian Tucker Refresher

First Name:
    Brian
    Company:
    Swope Toyota
    Picture it - 1997 and my first month in the car biz - My Sales Manager (Ford Dealer Development G.M.) sends me in with a full MSRP pencil - He tells me to present the numbers and then shut up. I do what he tells me and the customer says "O.K. but I need to go home and get my cash." Sounded good to me so I took the deal back to the G.M. and the customer left.
    The G.M. had some choice words for me because I didn't touch the desk before I let the customer go but I kept defending myself with "But he went home to get his cash, he is coming back".
    While we are having this discussion a car pulls up to the front door and my customer steps out with a brown paper bag and a gun on his hip (this was a older gentleman and I guess the gun was to protect his cash in the bag) He walks into the Business Office and dumps almost $30,000 in cash on the table and we had a full sticker deal (plus dealer cash) and I couldn't figure out why nobody believed me?(Can you say Green Pea?). I caught hell for several months about that one from "The Experienced Salespeople" including the salesperson that gave me the up because he thought they couldn't buy. True Story!
    P.S. Warren Gamble - If you read this we need to reconnect and talk about those days at Pioneer Ford Mercury!
  14. jimbell

jimbell Getting Refreshed

First Name:
    Jim
    Company:
    Don Ayres Honda
    Here's another one...a GM friend of mine was working at a Lexus dealership. He was new in the business and green. A customer pulled up in a 1980 something station wagon that was rusted out that the backend was filled up with empty cans like he was on the way to the recyling center to get his $4.50 for recycling. The guy got out of his car and of course no one wanted to up him. He finally went out and greeted him after the guy was there for 15 minutes. They walked in the showroom and he said I will take that one and that one off the floor. My friend just looked at him, sat at the desk and wrote up a deal on a LX400 and a SC. The guy wrote a check for both of them.

The customer ended up telling a story. He was a self-made millionaire. He had a beater that he just had in his pole barn when he would go out shopping for cars to see how he would be treated. Guess looks can be deceiving. The dealership was on a up rotation and the guy that was supposed to have him (reminding you that he didn't go out on the lot) wanted half the deals that were qritten up at sticker. Looks can be deceiving.
  15. AutoArchitech

AutoArchitech Refresher

First Name:
    Mark
    Company:
    Autoarchitech
    Spotted Today....
    [​IMG]
  16. Christopher Hawley

Christopher Hawley Noob

First Name:
    Christopher
    Company:
    Advertiser Media Network
    Balloons. Yes, as you can see in the image above, they have the perma balloons. I can't for the life of me understand why dealerships insist on ballooning their lot to "create" excitement. Then, in the purest form of the path of least resistance, we put ONE lonely balloon on each of the vehicles! Hey, at least it is done!

Lets not forget the ambitious dealers that make a big long string of balloons, which I kind of understand, to show they have the most excitement.

Which begs the question; who decided in the 1970's that balloons were a staple of front line automotive merchandising? What is the ROI on a balloon? Do customers see the same balloons that they see at every dealership on the strip for the last 20 years and truly get excited?

Seems silly to me....
  17. Ed Brooks

Ed Brooks Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Ed
    Company:
    vAuto - 402.427.0157
    Twitter:
    VelocitySales
    I was sitting in a bar, having dinner in some Hilton, Marriott, Sheraton, whatever, while I was on the road years ago. Some guy was sitting next to me doing the same. We struck up a conversation and soon realized we both sold to car dealers. So the natural question was what do you sell; He sold BALLOON SERVICE. He had crews of folks that would put the balloons up for dealers. I mean how hard is it to get the sales guys off the helium for a few minutes to blow up some balloons?

And there are so few real drive-bys today. I can't imagine the balloons (or even a gorilla) bring in the customers.
  18. Craig

Craig Refresher

First Name:
    Craig
    Company:
    vAuto

I worked at a store for a short stint that paid a balloon guy to come in.....crazy! Although balloons or gorillas may not bring it like they used to, what about this guy??? Just look at him go! Makes me want to buy cars just watching! :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2014
  19. Ed Brooks

Ed Brooks Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Ed
    Company:
    vAuto - 402.427.0157
    Twitter:
    VelocitySales
    Wavy Arm Guy is SO much better than the Gorilla! :iagree:
  20. Jeff Kershner

First Name:
    Jeff
    Company:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter:
    dealerrefresh
    I happen to LOVE balloons. They're cheap and effective. Seriously - who doesn't like balloons?

I personally hope to ditch this gig soon and become a windshield painter!

polls_PAINT_012.98221505_std_3854_858385_poll_xlarge.jpeg