• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Silly Shit in the car business! Post your favorite!

Once I was negotiating with a vendor (who shall remain nameless) who was getting frustrated with me and the deal I wanted. Instead of forwarding an email to his boss about me- he hit reply and sent the angry and unflattering email about me- back to me. Imagine the horror he must have felt upon that realization... Lol. Poor guy.

:rofl: that just happened to me the other day. It actually turned into an ice-breaker and now we're moving things forward fairly quickly :thumbup:

Once I was negotiating with a vendor (who shall remain nameless) who was getting frustrated with me and the deal I wanted. Instead of forwarding an email to his boss about me- he hit reply and sent the angry and unflattering email about me- back to me. Imagine the horror he must have felt upon that realization... Lol. Poor guy.

I'm half tempted to ask you to post this email. LOL.

What an idiot. Only you Erin.

I am guilty! I might even be the nameless person. Here's what happened.

2008ish I was working for iMagic and I was about to deploy to a dealership to do some training. Well the Internet Manager for this dealership was writing some very strong demanding e-mails to my boss. So as a way to soften the mood, I wrote an e-mail to him and said something like, "Here's a woman who will be single forever, what man would want to put up with this on a daily basis." I sent this off late one night.

Well the next day I was at a dealership training and during a break I was checking e-mail when I opened the following response:

"Jerry, email is a funny thing isn't it. One wrong click and you've majorly F&*%-up. Luckily for you I have a very good sense of humor and I am a forgiving person." Then she went on to explain her thoughts on working as a woman in a dealership and basically scolded me, and she had every right to do so.

As I read that e-mail I become sick to my stomach and could not believe what I done. I felt very terrible about what I had wrote and was ashamed.

I wrote her a very apologetic e-mail and was sincere about every word I wrote. Luckily she still had me come for training and I ended up buying the dealership lunch to make amends. We both laugh about it today and I think she has forgiven me. This experience taught me some very valuable lessons.

Here are those lessons:

1. Never write e-mails late at night when tired.
2. Never put anything in writing that you would not want the entire world to read.
3. Never write an e-mail when consuming adult beverages.

I am not perfect, but I do learn from my mistakes.

So what's your embarrassing moment?

No Jerry, it wasn't you...:) though your story is pretty funny too.
I never got the chance to respond to his remarks because only minutes later I got another email with a crazy, long winded apology. He must has realized what he did immediately after he hit send.
Jeff- I would share the email with you if I still had it, but my laptop crashed a few months ago and I lost everything in my outlook....

I have stopped ending my emails with "Regards," because the letters "G" and "T" are too close... I had to find this one out the hard way when emailing our car lot managers...

That's what signatures are for! :)

Being on the web side I deal a lot in screenshots.
Protip! Check your google searches, browser tabs, etc for anything you don't want your audience to see when creating screenshots!

I've seen some epically inappropriate searches in my time. :lmao:

When I was closing my first sale (1988) I was going through the numbers on the purchase agreement with this guy and got all the way through the sale price, trade value, taxes and tags, etc. I thought I was doing great and then came the question... What's this DOC fee all about? I looked this guy straight in the eye and said "Well sir, you know that all of these Toyotas come in on a ship right? The ship ties up at a dock... The Teamsters unload the boat... do you think that they do that for free?" He looked at me like I had three heads and realized that I was serious. My manager (Ernie Boch Jr.) was choking at his desk he was laughing so hard! The guy signed the purchase agreement and took delivery of his new car the next morning. My boss pulled me aside and told me that I had a great career ahead of me!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Hiding a '69 Camaro SS:

Back in the olden days sales would get a lead on a vehicle soon as it comes off the carrier. Once it came back from the detail you would hear of sales people hiding the car in the back so that customers and other sales staff didnt know it was for sale.

In the internet age this isn't possible.... well so I thought - I manage our online inventory and the only other person who also has access to it is our only online sales person. Everyone morning I would update the inventory via CSV file. Everyday at 830am our '69 Camaro SS would disappear from our website. We're located in Canada and this sales staff had a lead on it down in California.... He didn't want someone else to sell it while he had that lead...Clever