• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

starting a service exchange program

ahaley

Green Pea
Nov 6, 2013
First Name
anthony
My dealership has put me incharge of there new service exchange or service drive program. I was wondering if any other dealerships have a similiar program and could offer any advice or tips on the best practices and getting the best results

I head this up at my dealership. You HAVE to make sure you have a process in place that will be work. Service and Sales both have to be on the same page. If your management (Sales and Service) are not supporting you and giving you the support you need - you will not succeed. You also need the Service Advisers to buy in - if they aren't buying in to the system you have in place you fail. This is a tough program to work, but it does have a very good payoff when done correctly.

What about asking the customer when they call to schedule a service appointment (based on the age and miles criteria) if they would like to take a test drive while their vehicle is in for service. It amazes me that about once a month on average per dealer a customer will call and say; "I want to come in at 9:30 and wait on my car and while I'm there I want to test drive ____model." We immediately call a sales manager and give them a heads up so they are waiting on the customer with keys. I've gotten feedback from sales managers saying it was the easiest sale they every made.