• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Text Us message conversion from Website and VDP?

I know they work, but LOGICALLY, they shouldn't. every new Malibu / 3 Series / F-150 is the same, but the photos change perception in the buyer's mind.

I wouldn't say it's a perception thing. We're not selling iPhones. These days your Silverado's, Jeeps, or Toyotas are pretty configurable, just even wheel choices alone. Here's a likely scenario:

I'm looking for a new Silverado and see a certain dealer is offering $10k off the hood on last years model but it has a stock photo. I reach out for info, the BDC rep isn't sure if the truck has white lettering on the tires (they're going off the same info I see on the website) but tries, unsuccessfully, to "set an appointment". Any negative experience I have with that phone call I now associate with that dealer.

All it took to avoid that was 5 photos snapped from a smart phone! I wouldn't be surprised if 9/10 of "stealth" shoppers only visit dealers that post real photos.

Also, smart marketers know that posting actual photos is a simple and effective way to track engagement ;)

Reactions: Rob McCartney
We have had great success with our texting tools. I hear some concerns about the amount of texts received, but remember, you are providing another preferred channel of communication for your shoppers. For those folks that use the text tool, the closing rate on these leads are well above average - and that makes sense. A phone call comes in and you look, do you take it? A text comes in, do you read it immediately? Who texts with you? Friends text with you, and I believe that if you can get a shopper to text with you, they will treat with you a higher level of trust like they do with other folks they text with. Hmmm. if the ABC of a sale is to get the shopper to like you and trust you so that they will buy from you, and this helps you with the first parts of that.... maybe that explains why these leads close so well.
The opt in has to be iron clad though. I submitted an OEM lead on a new model I had genuine interest in that was due in a few months. I wasn't in the market and didn't reply right away. The next day I started getting PERSONAL text messages. My email is going to get junk but my text is sacred. It's a blessing that CRM tools are finally getting on board and there is some consensus about the tech

I wouldn't say it's a perception thing. We're not selling iPhones. These days your Silverado's, Jeeps, or Toyotas are pretty configurable, just even wheel choices alone. Here's a likely scenario:

I'm looking for a new Silverado and see a certain dealer is offering $10k off the hood on last years model but it has a stock photo. I reach out for info, the BDC rep isn't sure if the truck has white lettering on the tires (they're going off the same info I see on the website) but tries, unsuccessfully, to "set an appointment". Any negative experience I have with that phone call I now associate with that dealer.

All it took to avoid that was 5 photos snapped from a smart phone! I wouldn't be surprised if 9/10 of "stealth" shoppers only visit dealers that post real photos.

Also, smart marketers know that posting actual photos is a simple and effective way to track engagement ;)
Unless those tires got swapped to another vehicle... I've had it happen lol. 7 to 9 photos are good for new vehicles but they need to be as sharp or sharper than UC ones imho and experience.

Reactions: Chris Cachor
From the New Vehicle Merchandising section of the PCG Research 2016 Auto Shopper Influence Study -

PCG%20stock%20photos.png

Full study available at http://bit.ly/PCG2016

Unless those tires got swapped to another vehicle... I've had it happen lol. 7 to 9 photos are good for new vehicles but they need to be as sharp or sharper than UC ones imho and experience.

If your internet department already has a system of taking 25-30 pictures of used units... why break the habit on new?

Maybe its my OCD, but I prefer to approach every vehicle the same sway, a standard practice for all vehicles, doesn't matter if its new or used.

We, as humans, are mostly visual people, do you really want to search through all the features listed on the VDP? Or would you rather be able to scroll through 30 photos to find the vehicle has heated seats and a backup camera, the two features you really wanted?

Reactions: craigh
Derrick,
Just took a test drive of your chat process. http://www.youngernissan.com/searchused.aspx?Bodystyle=Sport+Utility+Vehicle&Features=4WD/AWD

Very well done. Your chat rep answered quickly and assisted with my vague & complex search request. She gave me 3 cars to look at, Then the rep went for the contact request, I denied. The rep acknowledged my denial and thanked me and asked if I had any other questions. Very well done.

Question: How do you pay and score your reps??

Whew. Glad I passed! That is what I like to hear. And to answer your question in regards to pay - they get a flat hourly rate. No spiffs or commission. The philosophy is centralized around offering *excellent* customer service. In regards to scoring, carnow offers an internal scoring system as well as an external score where the customer can score the rep. The scoring system is 1-5 stars. And is based on a) answer time b) questions answered, c) appointment if necessary (meaning, was it a service chat asking for an appt; thus, did we capture the information needed). The rep, however, should have asked you to take a brief moment to rate the conversation. Offering that we use the feedback to better the way we approach customer service.

If your internet department already has a system of taking 25-30 pictures of used units... why break the habit on new?

Agreed.
  • All exterior angles
  • Cluster (often has various trim levels)
  • Radio (so many options)
  • Seats (material changes by trim)
  • Trunk (shows actual storage space)
  • Rims (close up to confirm size/style)
No sense in changing your process.

in regards to pay - they get a flat hourly rate. No spiffs or commission. The philosophy is centralized around offering *excellent* customer service

From a shoppers POV, I had such a GREAT chat experience, I could tell your chat rep was here to help me (i.e. non-commission) ...THINK ABOUT THIS :)

If you're a decision maker who is hard at work building a new brand, and you're now analysing chat's impact to your Brand experience, @derrickwoolfson & co have the in-house, non-commissioned chat experience dialed in.

p.s. From a shopper's POV, the CarNow chat platform is very powerful, almost too powerful. IMO, on the initial phase of the chat, I'd hide that firepower to simplify the UI to allow the shopper to visually connect to the HUMAN HELPER on the other side. Then, once the dialogue begins and the shopper's needs are presented, then, I'd let the chat rep expand/populate the UI as needed.

...The scoring system is 1-5 stars. And is based on....

Derrick,
IMO, your chat experience makes a shopper feel 'comfortable' with your brand and your site. My logic says the "happy chat shopper' will be more likely return to your site than all other shoppers. Can you and the CarNow team track chat users separately in analytics? Also, are your chat users more or less likely to submit a non-chat lead?

Great team work!
Joe

p.s. Not all chats are product related, so, a share of all chats will not connect to future shopping behavior.

Derrick,
IMO, your chat experience makes a shopper feel 'comfortable' with your brand and your site. My logic says the "happy chat shopper' will be more likely return to your site than all other shoppers. Can you and the CarNow team track chat users separately in analytics? Also, are your chat users more or less likely to submit a non-chat lead?

Great team work!
Joe

p.s. Not all chats are product related, so, a share of all chats will not connect to future shopping behavior.

In regards to analytics and reporting, yes we can track individual performance. Depending on the type of chat (i.e. sales vs. service) the consumer for sales is more likely to convert off of the website. Wherein, the rep might offer a coupon to their phone, or a credit application link. We also have unique URL tracking system via car.now, which lets me know how many times the consumer based off of their IP address has gone back and visited the site.

What I take from that number is if it is low something tells me their either not engaged, or they are not getting the information they are looking for. That said, we have the option to engage with them sending them an offer, which pops up on the screen. This is a lot of work. And I am not going to write here and tell you we do this every day. BUT, it is an option.

Lastly, on the P.S. very true - there are chats every month that simply ask hours, or for an email or if we will give a car away for a prom haha.