• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Text Us message conversion from Website and VDP?

Michia Rohrssen just posted an interesting article just published over on the blog - "Online Sales Isn’t The Future Of Car Buying…And I Have The Data to Prove It."

Several interesting stats they found through their collection of data. Once being relevant to the original topic of this thread... something I was seeing and knew all along... “Text Us Now” had ONLY a .5% CTR and “Save Vehicle” came in at .2% CTR. Be sure to read the entire article.

According to Google, customers have 5 main questions that "Every Brand (dealership) Must Own".
  1. "Which-car-is-best"?
  2. "Is-it-right-for-me"?
  3. "Can-I-afford-it"?
  4. "Where-should-I-buy-it"?
  5. "Am-I-getting-a-deal"?
Is there any single website that will provide the answers to all five question? And that is why consumers use 18-24+ sources...

One website could answer all these questions and people would still visits 18+ sources. It's a large purchase. The problem is, with by visiting so many services, the buyer becomes so confused that by the time they visit the dealership, they're merely looking for some help (though not admittingly.)

Alex I think what Joe is trying to say is (forgive me if I am wrong too)

Usability and sales have nothing to do with each other on dealer sites. There is absolutely zero way to conduct a transaction with real money on a dealer website. So, trying to link the 2 together outside of say google analytics is always going to be suspect. There is no way to literally see 1 for 1 here.

Since we do not conduct transactions on the site we can not say that usability effects sales in any manner. It would be like trying to attach sales data to buzzfeed.

Buzzfeed doesn't sell stuff on their site to people, i could be wrong but lets say they don't. Just like we don't sell stuff online to people either.

Hard Stop.

We sell things to people at our dealership.
We parade our products on our sites.

I'm no website police but I think Joe's got you pinned on this one bro...
What the hell is going on here?

The title of this thread is 'Text Us message conversion from Website and VDP?'. The entire thread and many of these threads get derailed by talk of in-house transactions, sales process, lack of shopping carts and "Auto Marketing." If you want to talk that stuff, I'm all for it, but please start a new thread or ping old threads on the matter.

@Chris Leslie, dude there is no pinning, LMAO. "Usability and sales have nothing to do with each other on dealer sites." Of course they do, whether we like it or not they are absolutely related, be it indirect (fine).

@craigh went and stole my thunder and I'm glad he did. "Usability of a website absolutely has an impact on sales." Not just for the reasons he's stated but even more. It builds trust and reputation. It allows a potential buyer to find the car they are looking for or something similar, before they walk in the showroom or on the lot.
Neuromarketing is a field of marketing research that studies consumers' sensorimotor, cognitive, and affective response to marketing stimuli. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuromarketing. Obviously, there are many reasons that bring in a car buyer to a dealership and I am under the impression it's generally a combination of both traditional and digital marketing reasons, which includes a positive website user experience, etc.

These days, it's important to have SSL on-site (not only for security, but for SEO and again it builds trust). Personally, I tend not to provide any of my credentials to 3rd party websites that lack SSL. There are a plethora of dealer websites without it. The lead provision can help facilitate an actual in the showroom / lot sale.

A rubbish user experience does what for a dealer exactly? A great UX does what (*see aforementioned positives)? When I see a shit dealer website, I turn and go to one of their competitors. IMO, the way a dealer represent themselves externally (site, marketing) usually coincides with the way they treat their employees and support their customers (not just during the purchase but through the entire cycle for trade-in, fixed ops, etc.). That's me as a car customer, not a marketer.

Yes, most cars aren't actually sold online (I get it), please read through all of the posts if you're going to call people out. "Of course there is no shopping cart, although leave it up to groups like Vroom.com, etc. and that might start to change (younger generations seem ok with it -- I don't know if that's smart in the long term, but it's surely gaining momentum) and if perceptions change, so will dealers (through on-site and on the lot / showroom sales strategies)."

There is no shiny, red button, out-of-the-box solution that solves the problems for each and every dealership. Test, test, test and test some more until you get it right for your specific target audience and that includes what @craigh listed. What works for a dealer in Seattle might not for a dealer in Miami and vice versa.

That said, you all bring up excellent points, IMO. I just think the threads get a bit derailed from time to time. Call me crazy. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: craigh
@Chris Leslie, dude there is no pinning, LMAO. "Usability and sales have nothing to do with each other on dealer sites." Of course they do, whether we like it or not they are absolutely related, be it indirect (fine).

You are including your conclusion in your premise. Basically, you haven't proved why they are absolutely related. Only stated that they are indirectly related. Its a circular argument.

I mean if what you are suggesting was true. How the hell does Ling sell any cars>?

@TomLaPointe I don't buy all of what you're saying there. If the entire (total aggregate) interface or 3rd party application / plugin confuses the living crap out of a user (there are tons of them; I run into them daily, so do we all) during the first or introductory visit, dealers aren't going to convert very well using them.

The reality, if 3rd party plug-ins aren't tested (A/B, Multivariate and / or Split) within existing dealership website interfaces, dealers are taking risks....

Our whole premise has been a/b testing. 2 icons vs 3. popup / no popup. you are right about the multitude of variables that impact page loads, as well as a csi survey to rate operators and benchmark new tech. MASSIVE images in dealer scrolling banners probably hobble a site as much or more than the slowest plugin site. even now we are measuring before / after speeds when we do an install because all the variables remain the same. we had a toyota dealer here that had our chat, as well as a test drive coupon and even a credit popup. while all conventional wisdom said it was overkill (and ugly), they were crazy about tracking roi and conversions and the kept them because it worked. probably not as good an idea for an audi store though. . . it's like the blow up gorilla... if it works...

Reactions: Alexander Lau
Michia Rohrssen just posted an interesting article just published over on the blog - "Online Sales Isn’t The Future Of Car Buying…And I Have The Data to Prove It."

Several interesting stats they found through their collection of data. Once being relevant to the original topic of this thread... something I was seeing and knew all along... “Text Us Now” had ONLY a .5% CTR and “Save Vehicle” came in at .2% CTR. Be sure to read the entire article.

I read that and enjoyed the insight. There is no questions that car buying HAS transitioned. But the interesting figure there is that 2-3 percent of buyers transacted entirely online. Honestly, that's not an earthshattering number when you consider the following:
  • In 1997 autobytel said that in 10 years more than half of purchases would be entirely online
  • In 2007 autotrader said the same thing
  • In 2016 EVERY vendor at DSES and other conferences are pitching the same message
MEANWHILE...
  • Yes, transactional websites are new, but after 20 years one would think that transaction number would be higher, especially in California. Pretty sure it would be lower in Alabama or West Virginia based on my interactions with dealers there
  • Dealers have to assume that EVERY customer shopped online (everyone has a friend or relative helping them)
  • The WHOLE DEALERSHIP is the internet department and should be trained on CRM and best practices
  • OEMs still require bigger and bigger brick facilities and they remain on the main drag, very location-centric
Buying a car is and will always be VERY PERSONAL for people. Dealers must adapt to new technology and communications methods, but the fundamentals of a quality experience EVERY STEP OF THE way is more important than ever.

I had an operator tell me to 'hang on' the other day when she put me through. Really? My bet is her head is buried in her phone when a shopper walks in the front door too. Dealers and staff must be BETTER at the traditional requirements of business, given the reach of social media, AS WELL AS embrace today's realities of online sales. IMHO, of course

You are including your conclusion in your premise. Basically, you haven't proved why they are absolutely related. Only stated that they are indirectly related. Its a circular argument.

I mean if what you are suggesting was true. How the hell does Ling sell any cars>?
I am not including my conclusion in my premise, whatsoever. I merely highlighted that usability of a website and a sale can in fact be related. It happens every day. I'm not going to sit here and list out the relevant parts of a website or requirements for adaptive or responsive web functionality, etc., as it's exhausting.

As I've stated:
  • "Obviously, there are many reasons that bring in a car buyer to a dealership and I am under the impression it's generally a combination of both traditional and digital marketing reasons, which includes a positive website user experience, etc."
  • "Yes, most cars aren't actually sold online (I get it), please read through all of the posts if you're going to call people out. "Of course there is no shopping cart, although leave it up to groups like Vroom.com, etc. and that might start to change (younger generations seem ok with it -- I don't know if that's smart in the long term, but it's surely gaining momentum) and if perceptions change, so will dealers (through on-site and on the lot / showroom sales strategies).""
And that post by Michia Rohrssen, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too small of a sample size.

All that does is make the old-timers sit back and say "I told you so, I told you so, websites and usable websites with great SRPs, VDPs, etc. don't sell cars, see see see... it doesn't sell f*cking cars...!!!!"

Slightly off topic, but... How many of them actually have the correct processes set up internally? How many of them even realize the amount of leads their websites, etc. produce? How many of them have the correct resources and processes in place to follow up with quality, intent based leads properly?

Do they know their cost(s) per lead, their cost(s) per acquisition, etc.?

Meanwhile, there is a massive demographic that is perfectly OK with buying a car online. There are massive demographics that expect MORE out of a dealer's website, because most of them still suck to high hell and aren't usable worth a damn.

It's already happening, the disruption is under way and yes it should scare the living sh*t out of dealerships, because the OEMs are going to start to sell cars (online) themselves. It's just a matter of time.

Last edited:
Our whole premise has been a/b testing. 2 icons vs 3. popup / no popup. you are right about the multitude of variables that impact page loads, as well as a csi survey to rate operators and benchmark new tech. MASSIVE images in dealer scrolling banners probably hobble a site as much or more than the slowest plugin site. even now we are measuring before / after speeds when we do an install because all the variables remain the same. we had a toyota dealer here that had our chat, as well as a test drive coupon and even a credit popup. while all conventional wisdom said it was overkill (and ugly), they were crazy about tracking roi and conversions and the kept them because it worked. probably not as good an idea for an audi store though. . . it's like the blow up gorilla... if it works...
I see and yes there are plenty of website components that bog down a site and a combination of large components can greatly hurt a site (they're definitely out there and I've even supported them due to dealer insistence). Don't get me wrong, I think chat is an absolute requirement and I had the texting idea (as you guys probably did) far before those guys at Edmunds' Hackomotive, it's just dealers need to be careful where these are placed and how they behave. At the end of the day, yeah do what works, it just needs to be monitored. Easier said than done and at times one can overthink this stuff (it happens to me). :)

Reactions: TomLaPointe