• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

TAKE POLL Texting with customers often?

Edmunds just joined the texting front. http://www.edmunds.com/carcode/

Dear Valued Partner,

Over 34% of car buyers prefer to text with a prospective dealership when shopping for a vehicle. In order to help you reach these customers, we’re very excited to offer CarCodeSM, a TCPA compliant texting solution that integrates with your CRM.

In lieu of this decision, we’d like to inform you that effective January 1, 2015 we will be discontinuing all chat capabilities through Edmunds.com. This means that across our website we will be removing the “CHAT with Dealership” button.

If you have already activated CarCodeSM for your dealership we hope you are enjoying all the benefits! If you are interested in signing up or to request a demo, please visit Edmunds.com/carcode.

Please feel free to address any questions about this transition with your dedicated Account Executive or Account Manager.

Thank you for your support and partnership.

Sincerely,
The Edmunds Team

Last edited:
Edmunds just joined the texting front. http://www.edmunds.com/carcode/

Interesting concept Edmunds has here. I heard about this but hadn't really looked into it that much. I like it. For several reasons. Not only does it allow the consumer to initiate a text chat with the dealer from Edmunds.com but it also has a feature that allows the sales person to use the app to start a new text message with any customer while keeping you/dealer under the safeguard of opt-in/opt-out TCPA regulations.

If I'm not mistaken, Edmunds acquired the company CarCode awhile back.

RapidFire offers a solution like this for dealers but I'm not sure if they offer a mobile app version of their desktop application that allows one to text chat with a customer but from a desktop browser to their mobile phone. The advantages of a system like this is the digital paper trail of the opt-in and conversations. This is great for sale but I even better for the service department to utilize.

@emilymoore thanks for mentioning CarCode. I forgot all about it until now.

Last edited:
*removed sly self promotion

Dealers are reluctant at first to adopt texting the customer, but the results are undeniable. This has led to dealers needing a text solution outside the CRM.

Is anyone aware of a BCC type text message that can record conversations to an LMS?

Not promoting specifically but If I'm not mistaken, eLead CRM has their own texting feature for sales and service that has the ability to record conversations made within the platform. I have not used it so I can't speak on its full functionality.

Understood. Let me try this a different way.

TRUE or FALSE, as of TODAY, there are no specific Federal privacy regulations surrounding a text message that would differentiate such communication to fall under a different regulation(s) than a telephone call.

TRUE or FALSE, as of TODAY, there are no specific Federal privacy regulations in place that would be violated in the event that a car dealer would initiate communication via email or text message with a customer that physically and willingly came into said car dealer's location of business and willingly shared their email address and cell phone number with said car dealer.

I primarily communicate with my customers via text message. I would really like to know if I need to stop.

@Tallcool1

I know it's been awhile since this discussion but maybe I can be helpful...

To your first question...
TRUE: SMS is generally grouped with phone call rules. So if something is illegal to do with a phone call I don't suggest doing it with SMS. On the flip side, if something is legal to do with a phone call then it's typically permissible with an SMS.

To your second question...
TRUE: You're absolutely fine emailing and texting with customers who visit your dealership and provide that contact information.

Where things get tricky is opt outs. While it's fine to follow up via SMS, messaging anyone after they have asked to be removed can get you in big trouble. I'll write a more in depth post about this that goes into detail about what can get you sued, which is obviously what everyone wants to avoid.

Last edited:
We text with our customers. Everyone uses their own cell phone number which is on their business cards as well as our website. In hindsight, I wish I had set it up a little bit different.

If I could go back, I would set up Google Voice numbers for everyone. This way, I would have control of the number. As it stands now, many of my customers have a salesperson's personal cell phone number as the dealerships primary number. Simply put, if a salesperson leaves to go sell cars at another dealership......well, you know.

In my opinion, stupid mistake on my part.

Hey Tallcool1,

The value is texting is at an all time high, giving customers the ability to text you is a significant need at your rooftop these days.

Have you found a solution to this concern? I work at Zipwhip Business Texting. I would love to have a quick chat if you have the time?

[email protected]

Hey Tallcool1,

The value is texting is at an all time high, giving customers the ability to text you is a significant need at your rooftop these days.

Have you found a solution to this concern? I work at Zipwhip Business Texting. I would love to have a quick chat if you have the time?

[email protected]

Appreciate the offer.

I was never looking for a solution nor do I have any concerns.

Thanks

Clint