• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

The shit hit the fan

Alex Snyder

President Skroob
Staff member
May 1, 2006
Awards
First Name
Alex
Jeff isn't posting this because he's busting his butt to try to recover what he can. He's been at it for about 3 days now.

Backstory:

In most of DealerRefresh's 15+ years it been hosted on what one might not call a "scalable grandiose server." Remember that DealerRefresh was started when Jeff was selling VW's and has never become anyone's full time job. It is a passion.

As the Internet grew DealerRefresh suffered attack after attack by malicious spammers and hackers. It became time to invest in something more secure with a reputable hosting company because it was too difficult to continue fighting the havoc. Hosting was moved to a Florida-based service called HiVelocity on a self-serviced plan and things were going well.... until the end of January.

Somewhere around January 24th a decision to stop doing routine backups was made because there was a suspicion they were making things "wonky." While work was being done to "de-wonkify" things it all came crashing down on February 12th.

Obviously services are back up. However, all data between January 24th and February 12th is not showing within the site. This includes:

• New Members
  • Private Messages
  • etc.

Fortunately, 90% of it still exists in email notifications and things of that nature. Jeff is manually recreating as much as he can and trying to restore it like it was originally posted. Things are not going to be perfect nor exact.

DealerRefresh apologizes for what's going on and Jeff will fill in more details later. In the meantime, please raise a hand if you have some time to help Jeff with some copying and pasting (in case he needs some help). And if you want to give DealerRefresh hell, we're always down with getting the finger pointed at us. If you prefer not to kick somebody when he's down this would be a good thread to share your sentiments, supreme hatred for spammers, or amazement at how there is no possible way to escape technology fuck-ups.

I appreciate having a place like this to learn from some of the best in the industry, and my $50 monthly membership fee is well worth the investment! What?...what do you mean you don't have to pay? Huh, You don't pay either? Hey @Jeff Kershner , how come I am the only one that has to pay to be on here? HAHAHA!!!

Shit happens. Don't sweat it. You will recover what you recover, and the rest you won't.

Thanks for the hard work!

Alex, thanks for posting. Sleep has not been at the of the priority list ever since this fiasco went down. When you first start a project such as this, you never take into account the resources, time and money it will potentially demand as it grows. 10 years ago, I would've never imagined how much goes into keeping an online community and media outlet alive, thriving and moving forward. Bit... I love it!

As of this very moment I have manually completed the re-registering of over 40+ dealer members that joined the Dealer Forums over the last 3 weeks. Each member has received an email from me apologizing for the mishap and directions on how to reset their password.

NEXT: All the comments that were lost over the last 3 weeks. This is going to be the big challenge but I'm determined to have it completed within the next 24-48 hours.

IF you started a new conversation after Jan 24th 2015 and before Feb 14th 2016 and you're wondering, "what the he!! happened to it.?" Hold tight. It will be reappearing within the next 24 to 48 hours.

IF you have commented on a discussion during the same window of time and wondering, what the he!! happened to it? Hold tight. It will be reappearing within the next 24 to 48 hours.

This is an amazing community we have all built with years and years of information, ideas, opinions. Some of you have found new jobs through your connections here in the dealer forums. MANY of us have made some amazing friends. We have over 10 years of searchable information. Archived discussions, that may be over 5 years old, but still relevant and priceless to new members, a new wave of folks entering into the automotive industry. PLUS - who else has their own automotive nostradamus?

Meanwhile, PLEASE continue on as you normally would. I'll be behind the scenes over the next few days making sure as much of the lost data is recovered and re-posted.

Side NOTE: While going through this, I've decided it would be the best time to make a few needed changes. SO be in the lookout for a few feature enhancements that you're sure to like. I'll keep you updated in the "Welcome Center."

Another Side NOTE: For well over a year (maybe even two), DealerRefresh blog made a substantial redesign utilizing the WordPress theme "GetNoticed". Hindsight is always 20/20 right? If given the option to return that particular moment when I made the final decision on what theme to use, my choice would have been different. I won't use this real-estate to dump on the product or folks behind GetNoticed, but I will say it's been quite a disappointment. And I mention this because since then, several others in the industry are now using it as well.

Another Side NOTE: If you're using HiVelocity dedicated servers and service, consider a back-up option. Their service and hardware has been an up and down relationship for over a year now, and unless you're paying extra ($100/hr support) for the 24/7 support - their communications tend to suffer.

Okay, that's all for now. I have a shit ton of work to get back to.

@Alex Snyder @emilymoore @Tallcool1 thanks for taking a minute out of your day to say thanks. It really means a lot to know that people in our industry do care and appreciate all the work that goes into something that was started and continues on, as a place for others to meet, share knowledge and learn.

Emily I really appreciate the text message.

Reactions: emilymoore
DealerRefresh apologizes for what's going on and Jeff will fill in more details later. In the meantime, please raise a hand if you have some time to help Jeff with some copying and pasting (in case he needs some help).

I appreciate all that you guys do. @Jeff Kershner Let me know how I can help with the copy/paste project to help get you back up and running. Happy to help.

ahh... is it me or is this server FACE-RIPPING FAST now?

It is quite fast. And easy to configure (cloud based).

Update: Xenforo doesn't offer any shortcuts for inserting CSV files. So getting the missing comments back has been more of a challenge than originally thought. But I'm getting there.

Still having a database memory issue of some sort on the blog side. The problem still seems to be the theme itself.