• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

They finally broke me...

Look on the bright side; you have evolved into a very productive dealership employee (based on your commentary and how you view yourself). You have skills that other dealers will pay money for. Might be time to shop around. Might also be time to challenge yourself. You have only worked at one dealership, how would your skills stack up at a more progressive dealership? Never stop learning and always be looking to better yourself. Our Industry is filled with GM's who think they know everything there is to know about running a dealership. They become complacent and time passes them by.

I like to see a person who has been successful at more than one location. Use your next opportunity as way to prove yourself and take your career to a whole new level. When it comes to Internet Directors, I would say there are non better than Kevin Frye. Lots of people think they are Kevin Frye like, but they aren't even close. And the thing about Kevin, he's always looking for more ways to improve. When you become Kevin Frye like, you can and will get paid what you want.

If Joe Pistell and Eric Miltsch were still working in a dealership, I would put them in the same category.

Good luck!

Reactions: 5 people
Just wanted to give you guys a massive thank you! You gave me good advice and I knew posting here would be a good idea.

To update: I went back to work and submitted my resignation. As expected, they told me I didnt have to work the full 2 weeks and that I could just leave. I took a few days off and relaxed. Went home and visited my family for the first time in a couple of years.

While there, my phone rang. It was another dealer in town that had heard I quit and wanted to talk to me. I met with them today and I will be starting tomorrow. I will be in charge of fixing their BDC, website, and all sorts of internet marketing (manager moved a few months ago and its been going down hill) and helping out on finance while actually getting finance commission when I do so. Overall, my situation turned around entirely and I also got a big raise (thank god).

Again, thank you guys so much for listening and for the advice. I really do appreciate it. I am excited to start working and learning more and more about this business.

Now... time to get to work!

Reactions: 7 people
Another thing that made me break the car business is the poor quality of templates and descriptions like this :

"Unlike most of our Competitors, when purchasing a Previously Owned vehicle from ******, you will not encounter any hidden charges (i.E. Reconditioning Fees, additional Maryland State Inspection costs or Freight Fees.) The only additional cost to our Internet Price is State Tax, Tags, License and $199 Dealer Processing Fee. ******** of ***ville Pre-Owned Sales is proud to offer this vehicle for sale. It has been meticulously inspected, maintained and well priced. Call or click and you will experience a better WAY to buy. We will provide you a free copy of the CARFAX Report and our full inspection records shop bills. Ask us about the details; it is all in the details. Please check us out at - I Love ***** Baltimore, Annapolis, Bel Air Dealership Review. Our Internet Value Pricing mission at ***** of ***ville is to present Value Pricing to all of our customers. Pre-Owned Internet Value Pricing is achieved by polling over 20,000 pre-owned websites hourly. This ensures that every one of our customers receives real time Value Pricing on every pre-owned vehicle we sell. We do not artificially inflate our pre-owned prices in the hopes of winning a negotiating contest with our customers! We do not play pricing games. After being in business for over 15 years, we realize that Internet Value Pricing is by far the best approach for our customers."

IMO, this listing is not something I would use. Why stay when someone is a knucklehead.

Poor Grammar & BS. Wow " internet value pricing" is by far the best approach. My ass

It is so great to read this thread;

You started the thread with great distress but I thought already when I first read it that this was a great path. You started at the bottom and learned how to perform one of the best--and most difficult--jobs in the retail automotive industry.

The take away is very powerful: Put in the effort, learn well, and you will find the right fit.

More powerful is the lesson for the dealership; ignore quality and it will find its way out.

Congratulations to you, I hope you continue to grow.