• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Things to Stop Doing in 2015 (From Harvard Business Review)

v8apps

3rd Base Coach
Apr 25, 2012
First Name
Smit
Read this article on https://hbr.org/2015/01/things-to-stop-doing-in-2015 and thought it would be a good read for all so sharing it here.

Stop multitasking (it can be done).

Stop procrastinating, saving work for tomorrow, and waiting to be inspired to work.

At the same time, stop working at an unsustainable pace. Itmakes leading more difficult, and to do things better, you have to stop doing so much.

If that’s not possible, at least stop complaining about how busy you are. Everyone will thank you.

Stop feeling like you have to be authentic all the time. It could be holding you back.

Stop holding yourself back in these five other ways, too.

Stop being so positive — research shows it’s not all that helpful for achieving your goals.

Stop overdoing your strengths (lest they become weaknesses).

And when it comes to evaluating others, stop mistaking confidence for competence.

Stop giving negative feedback as a “sandwich.

Stop overlooking the women in your organization. And stop relying on diversity training programs to fix the problem. They can’t solve it.

Speaking of things that don’t work: Stop ideating and brainstorming.

Stop trying to delight your customers all the time.

Stop searching for a silver bullet to your strategy dilemmas.

That said, stop using so many battle metaphors when you talk about strategy.

And please, stop using terrible PowerPoints and these equally terrible words in your business communications.

Stop sitting so much. Seriously.

Stop getting defensive. (Not that we’re accusing you.)

And if you can’t stop doing any of these things… stop believing that you have to be perfect.

I have read similar articles before. Thanks for posting it.

I stopped buying average cars and only focused on the exceptional ones this past month. It made a big difference in how quickly I turned the inventory. This is the way I see it, if that car your about to buy is in average condition, average miles, etc, then your competing against the other countless average cars out there.
That means it will usually come down to price for the customer who has many similar cars to choose from, the car sits around for 60 days until you finally find a buyer at full price, or worst case you send it back to auction at a loss and pissed off.

Warren Buffet said it best, "it is better to buy exceptional at a fair price, than fair at an exceptional price" (paraphrasing)