• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Thoughts on a big-city test for no-haggle pricing?

One price, two price or three, it really don't matter... It's all about the pay plan and how they reward the sales people!!!
The key is to give the customers what they want and kill them with kindness.

You want one price? No problem
You want to haggle? No Problem
You want Trade difference? No problem
I will not lose a customer on how they want to buy a car!!!

Zeck Ford is the best I've see do this and work!

download (1).jpg

"The Interrogation"

Why? I still think that a good salesperson should still make six figures.

I do too! Payplans dont have to be a % of gross unless you are one of the "We have always done it this way group" We paid on number of units once you hit 15 you were being paid very well, we paid on CSI if you were above zone you got 110% of your pay but if you were below you got 90%. We also had monthly, Qtr, and yearly bonuses.

"Roughly 300 dealers in the New York and Los Angeles metro areas will offer no-haggle pricing below sticker on their new-vehicle inventory this week, in a promotion organized by car shopping Web site Edmunds.com."

Wife turns to husband... "Look at this honey, all the dealers have dropped all their sale prices and agreed to fix their prices, lets wait till next week"

Reactions: 1 person
This "fear of the deal" and "fear of the dealer" is an urban legend IMO.

Fixing what's not broken is what almost killed JC Penny this year.

JCP recruited a new CEO, Ron Johnson. He ran Apple's super successful retail stores. He brought the "spirit of Apple shopping experience" to JCP and the shoppers HATED IT

"In early 2012, Johnson announced a major overhaul of the way JC Penney does business, with a new “fair and square” everyday low pricing scheme to replace the “fake prices” used commonly in the past. The idea sounded great—in theory. Didn’t everyone hate those “fake prices,” which were inflated only so that the inevitable discounts would seem tempting?"
The 5 Big Mistakes That Led to Ron Johnson’s Ouster at JC Penney | TIME.com

It's easy to miss the forest because the trees are in the way.

Last edited:
I'm going to take a gamble and say that this price fixing concept will fall short of expectations (hahaha price fixing ;-). Here's why:

I'm betting that many of the 300 dealers in the 'one week of one price' test because it's a great excuse to push it onto the sales staff and see the push back they'll get and see what happens to sales. A few of the 300 dealers will tell the Edmunds PR crew they were so happy with the results, they're going to price fixing (when in fact, they were going to one price anyways). The Edmunds PR crew will spin it for weeks...

Next, "One price or lipstick on a pig?" How many managers will let a shopper walk? Real one price requires lots of training and merchandising support and big brass balls.

Nope. This test is a PR stunt.

Next, "One price or lipstick on a pig?" How many managers will let a shopper walk? Real one price requires lots of training and merchandising support and big brass balls.

Nope. This test is a PR stunt.

Thats the key to "One Price" you have to let them leave and not follow or call and give them more off. You have to be confident in your numbers. We used to have customers walk to their car sit in it expecting us to come out, they would then get out and come back inside and say "You are serious you are gonna let me walk over XX amount of dollars" Yes Mr customers our integrity is what we do is worth more than the couple hundred we were apart.

Reactions: 1 person