• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Unique Visior to Website Lead Ratio

MarketingGuy

Green Pea
Oct 1, 2010
First Name
Andy
If you take the total number of all email leads and divide it by the number Absolute Unique visitors to your wesbite you get a small but powerful percentage. Adjusting this positvely by even the smallest amouunt is signifncant in terms of the number leads. This ratio speaks to the sites ability to convert a visitor to a lead which is critcial and also the quality of our web traffic. I've had this stat thrown at me from multiple web providers. One claiming their sites do on average, 4% to 5%.

What are other people getting and does anybody know what a good percentage is? National Average anyone?

A website vendor stating something in the territory of less than 5% is someone I would want to talk to because they're not lying. The average dealer website converts at slightly under 3%. I keep hearing website vendors promising crap like over 10%. This is shady because they take advantage of your ignorance to get to these kind of numbers. They do things like: http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/f43/map-views-conversion-1108.html

Here's a change of thought. If you do better at increasing your traffic your conversion rate goes down (and your bounce rate goes up). Of course you want to continue to increase your conversion rate along with traffic increases, but I have seen dealer websites look like under-performers some months because they had some sort of crazy TV advertisement, were aired on the news, or were featured in an industry magazine.

The trick is making sure you don't get hung-up on one single stat. The picture is HUGE and you should be looking at all of it.

A website vendor stating something in the territory of less than 5% is someone I would want to talk to because they're not lying. The average dealer website converts at slightly under 3%. I keep hearing website vendors promising crap like over 10%. This is shady because they take advantage of your ignorance to get to these kind of numbers. They do things like: http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/f43/map-views-conversion-1108.html

Here's a change of thought. If you do better at increasing your traffic your conversion rate goes down (and your bounce rate goes up). Of course you want to continue to increase your conversion rate along with traffic increases, but I have seen dealer websites look like under-performers some months because they had some sort of crazy TV advertisement, were aired on the news, or were featured in an industry magazine.

The trick is making sure you don't get hung-up on one single stat. The picture is HUGE and you should be looking at all of it.

Should the 3% - 5% include service appointments and parts inquiries or just straight sales?

Yeah we were right around 3-5% when I started here, I was worried about driving up traffic and driving down the percentage.

Luckily we have been able to maintain over 5% all year... a lot of that has to do with cutting out sources that drive in people who are barely even in the sales funnel yet and focusing on other areas.

The national average for LTV is just under 4%, 3.89% to be exact. But this takes into account allot of bad websites and only a few that really blow the doors off. There is still an argument to make as to if you want more and more traffic, or quality traffic that have a higher likelihood of sending a lead.

Based on home page bail outs (people that come to your home page and never click past), this percentage of visitors is still over half of the traffic to most any site. So why even calculate lead to visitor and get such a small number that is very hard to move. We have no control over home page bounces, so why measure it?

The better calculation is "Search to Visitor" ratio. In other words, of all the visitors that actually make it past your home page, how many engage in an auto search? This number takes out home page bounces (many of which are probably bots or spiders that should be removed from the equation anyway) and gives us a much better Shopper Engagement score; then how many people who actually search for a car submit a lead (Search to Lead)...and if so, what was the key-word and shopping process that led him to sending a lead. Then go find more shoppers like that, and not throw money at Google ad words to increase traffic.
Make sense?

Based on home page bail outs (people that come to your home page and never click past), this percentage of visitors is still over half of the traffic to most any site. So why even calculate lead to visitor and get such a small number that is very hard to move. We have no control over home page bounces, so why measure it?

Jason... ahh.. we all have >50% bounce rate? I'm 16.6% for all sources. PPC is >20% of our traffic, pull that out and 13% bounces.

Also, You use the "search to visitor" ratio, A bounce is a visitor that lands on the home page and goes no deeper. but I don't understand the logic to give up on the bounces rather than wash them out of the data.