• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Unique Visior to Website Lead Ratio

Jason... ahh.. we all have >50% bounce rate? I'm 16.6% for all sources. PPC is >20% of our traffic, pull that out and 13% bounces.

Outside of dealership websites the normal bounce rates are 40-60%. Because we all have such niche websites (let's face it, they are) our traffic is much more relevant and equates to a lower bounce rate.

Just pointing out where Jason is coming from.

Joe, that is amazing and the first I have heard of a bounce rate that low. Obviously, focusing on quality traffic has been a strategy for you which is really where I was going with my comments. As you might know, we still see a huge bounce rate on most dealer sites and I don't recommend throwing those out of the equation. I am only saying don't use total visitors as a measurement of success or a benchmark to predict lead volume.

For example, our data shows unique visitors rose 15% in September over the last month. However, auto shoppers (those who make it past the home page and perform some vehicle related activity) dropped 7% and total vehicle searches were down 10%. This all led to a total decline in leads being submitted by 20%. So a nice increase in unique traffic did not coincide with an increase in shoppers, vehicle searches or leads. We have seen the opposite to be true also; a drop in unique traffic, and increased leads.

I think a wiser plan is to look at how many people bounce off that home page, determine what the “most popular bounced key word†is and stop putting SEM or ad dollars where they have the least effect.
In other words, don’t ignore the home page bail-outs, and don’t stop looking at unique traffic numbers, but don’t assume there is positive correlation between traffic, shoppers and lads.

We also track the phone calls from our website tracking number. If we include both fixed ops and sales, we are running at 10.4% year to date total conversion. You have to look at the website as not just sales, but also parts, service, and body shop if you have one. The customers are hitting your site for a reason and that is to do some type of business with you.

I wonder if 10 percent is a standard phone conversion rate. A lot of my dealership clients are working on this number, assuming that phone leads are "stronger" than email leads.

(I'd say they aren't stronger, just more immediate. Keep up with the emailer and sell her a car?)

I have also seen conversion rates higher for stores that don't post prices. I don't like this tactic of holding prices ransom until customers contact you. But I guess it improves your conversion rate in some instances--doubt it helps close 'em, though.

I wonder if 10 percent is a standard phone conversion rate. A lot of my dealership clients are working on this number, assuming that phone leads are "stronger" than email leads.

(I'd say they aren't stronger, just more immediate. Keep up with the emailer and sell her a car?)

I have also seen conversion rates higher for stores that don't post prices. I don't like this tactic of holding prices ransom until customers contact you. But I guess it improves your conversion rate in some instances--doubt it helps close 'em, though.

Phone conversion ratios are all over the board. A lot of dealers are lucky if they can prove a 5% conversion ratio. We also have some dealers that are achieving a 20% conversion rate on phone-ups. It all depends on how well your salespeople are trained. A good number would be 15%.

When you don't post prices, you will get more phone calls. If your reps are not trained how to handle those calls, you'll fail miserably. When done properly with a trained "Phone Ninja" it can be a successful strategy.

If you would like to see what increasing your conversion ratios by just five percentage points will mean to your dealership, check out our Ninja Calculator

It would be great to hold all 3rd Party groups, like AutoTrader (HUGE WASTE OF MONEY), Cars.com, CarGurus, TrueCar, Edmunds, etc. accountable.

Show the following:
  1. Google Referrals
  2. Calls
  3. Chats
  4. Leads
  5. Appointments
  6. Shows
  7. Sold
  8. Per Lead Cost
  9. Closing Ratio
  10. Monthly Cost
  11. Current CPVS

It would be great to hold all 3rd Party groups, like AutoTrader (HUGE WASTE OF MONEY), Cars.com, CarGurus, TrueCar, Edmunds, etc. accountable.

Show the following:
  1. Google Referrals
  2. Calls
  3. Chats
  4. Leads
  5. Appointments
  6. Shows
  7. Sold
  8. Per Lead Cost
  9. Closing Ratio
  10. Monthly Cost
  11. Current CPVS

I think you just bumped a 4 year old thread with a copy/paste of your reply to another thread?