• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Unqualified Traffic Source

ErikJonker

3rd Base Coach
Jan 26, 2013
Awards
First Name
Erik
Hey Dealer Refresh Community!

Hoping someone smarter than me can look through this information and help me decipher what this is and if it is a vendor doing something kinky to show me traffic to my website.

A week ago I get a lead submission on our site with this written:

Customer Comments: Jaystone marketing is cheating on you guys and sending unqualified traffic to your site. I can show you guys exactly what they're doing. This is not spam, I'm local from XXXXXX and not looking to make money for this info.

I read this message and think, who the heck is Jaystone Marketing??? This is not a vendor I am familiar with and what's this all about???

The person who sent it turns out to be a local guy who does some marketing and web administration for some local businesses and said that he keeps seeing some videos on his facebook wall that are completely unrelated to my Honda store and he clicks them and the videos take him straight to my homepage (ww.langleyhonda.com)

upload_2016-9-28_13-17-36.png

l myself can't find this video on facebook, or on this facebook users wall for that matter.

this url, at the bottom of the video does exist: http://dev-glo-ball.pantheonsite.io/2016/09/09/49/

when I go to this site, and click to watch the video, it seems to link to other sites that I have recently visted or a totally random website that I have never seen or been to before?

The person that sent it to me said that last week in the URL was Jaystone Marketing

Jaystone Marketing is a total unknown to me.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Last edited:
There's a couple common indicators I usually check:

Acquisition -> All Traffic -> Referrals

This should show any direct referrals in the event that they're not fudging the referral headers

Behaviour -> Site Content -> Landing Pages

Based on your URL structure, you can search this for things like "inventory" to see which vehicles have high entrances. You can then use the "Secondary Dimension" to try and find where large groups of traffic are coming from

Screen Shot 2016-09-30 at 8.51.54 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-30 at 8.52.02 AM.png

Audience -> Geo -> Location
Use this over a long period of time to see if you're getting spam from multiple countries - often this indicates rogue linking or referral spam

This is the easiest way to identify if there really is a problem.
If you're not seeing sudden changes in Referral or Direct traffic, it's unlikely that it's a significant issue.

Hey Eric,

My name is Adam Stone and I am the founder of Jaystone Marketing. We opened in January of 2016 and have been working with some the best dealers and dealer groups in the US since. I worked for Toyota Motor Sales, USA for 12 years, then I worked for Tier10 Marketing, then I ran marketing for Prime Motor Group (25 stores, 20 different brands in New England) for 3 years and then spun off Jaystone Marketing with former Prime owner and owner of McGovern Auto Group Matt McGovern. We are a Google Premier Partner and are very proud of getting great results for our clients. I was shocked to see your post because we do not send traffic to other dealers sites and we do not do business in Canada.

I believe that one of my competitors is trying to smear our otherwise stellar reputation. If you have a moment I would like to connect to ask a few more questions. If I can help you in anyway as well I am more than happy to do that for your time. Looking forward to talking soon.

Adam Stone
CEO Jaystone Marketing
[email protected]