• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Vehicle purchasing agent TRAINING

bustin dailey

Full Sticker + Prep
Apr 1, 2010
First Name
Dustin
I have a long-time employee who does all of our dealer trades. He is great at it.

That said, the other half of his job is purchasing vehicles for our pre-owned inventory, and locating/purchasing specific used vehicles for customers.

I see us losing deals relatively often because he simply can not find the vehicle the customer wants quickly enough. He seems to be limiting himself to the online auctions, rather than calling and negotiating with other dealers on their aged/reduced inventory that matches our customers specifications.

I need to contact a company who trains on vehicle purchasing, and have them contact my GSM and make a pitch to him. The topic is sensitive, so me simply taking a stack of great ideas to the GSM and purchasing agent wouldn't work. I need a 3rd party to take a stab at it.

Any recommendations? I can find all kind of training for our industry, but this seems to be a tough one.

Hey Dustin,

I don't like to comment on these when it can come across as bias, but have you guys looked at vAuto? (Provisioning - Used Auto Dealer Inventory Management Software | vAuto) Our Stocking (Provisioning) tool is one of a kind and patented. Not only do we see every single auction, something your guy likes, but we see every single vehicle in your market down to trim, color, options, etc. We also see who has it and for how long.

I don't represent Missouri so I wouldn't be your rep but I would be more than happy to answer any questions you or your GSM have.

Hope this is okay, Jeff K.!

Reactions: 1 person
Cant help with training on it but I used to do it all the time, I would also look private party ie craigslist and autotrader you would be surprised what you can find and the deals you can get. Have you asked him if he will call other stores for used inventory? First place I would look at the same dealers who he dealer trades with at least then he is talking with people he already knows.

Bustin

Have you looked into dealermatch.com? They are a dealer to dealer sales website selling both, front-line ready units and wholesale pieces. The monthly subscription is pretty reasonable. I had a lot of success filling orders off of OVE also. Does your store have relationships with any local wholesalers? There are a couple of pretty sharp ones in my area that could produce a car pretty quickly whenever I needed one. Those guys deal with dealers everyday and may be able to get a car out of a store that you do not have a relationship with. Also, setup a buying profile on Bob Hollenshead's website, hollensheadautosales.com Once your profile is done you setup a wishlist of cars and when one hits his inventory you're notified.

If I Googled the correct W-K Chevrolet, I see that you're about 65 miles from a Carmax. Depending on the size of the store they hold weekly and semi-monthly auctions selling trades and the occasional front-line ready retail unit. They do not offer simulcast so your buyer will have to physically attend the sale. I have had great luck resourcing cars that I have purchased there.

And to take Will off of the hook, I can say that the Live Market View Provision tool built into vAuto is powerful. That combined with AuctionGenius makes a great combo if you're going to buy cars in volume monthly. As a former wholesaler myself, who loved the excitement of going to the auctions, I never thought that buying online was something I would get excited about. These tools make online buying through simulcast so much easier and I did not miss all of the travel to the auctions one bit.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 2 people