• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

VinSolutions and Wolfington Fallout?

From DealerRefresh and Matt Watson of VinSolutions on September 10, 2010:

Re: Is this true?

Matt Watson: "We updated the site to reflect a couple new officers of the company (Sean Stapleton and Keith) that were already managers that got promoted. Mike Dullea was COO and is now the CEO."

Matt Watson: "We have one of the best management teams around and Sean Wolfington is still a member of our board.

So no trouble here!"

Twitter @mattwatson81 @VinSolutions

Last edited:
From DealerRefresh and Matt Watson of VinSolutions on September 10, 2010:

Re: Is this true?

Matt Watson: "We updated the site to reflect a couple new officers of the company (Sean Stapleton and Keith) that were already managers that got promoted. Mike Dullea was COO and is now the CEO."

Matt Watson: "We have one of the best management teams around and Sean Wolfington is still a member of our board.

So no trouble here!"

Twitter @mattwatson81 @VinSolutions

Good memory Ralph - here is a link to that conversation http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/f5/true-1202.html

I write this commentary in response to recent posts about the integrity of Sean Wolfington.

It has been said that there are three kinds of people in the digital automotive marketing industry: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who wonder “What happened?” We work in an extreme fast-paced industry that demands much of us in this age of online customers, algorithms, data manipulation, branding, and social networking. More and more we find that etiquette and polite manners have sadly not kept pace with developments in technology and our ever-evolving cyber industry.

Through my experiences in this business, I can honestly say that there are lights shining through the darkness. One such shining example that comes to mind is Sean Wolfington.

I know Sean as both a mentor and a friend, having worked for him in the past as a novice in the industry. He never hesitated to enthusiastically share an inspirational thought. Alongside Sean’s intense commitment for striving to be a leader in providing innovative technology to dealers, Sean demonstrated for all his colleagues an unparalleled ideal for which to strive in our moral and professional life. He didn’t just train us, more importantly he formed our character for the service of others. One such example is the virtue of ‘honoring the absent’ which requires respecting others by refraining from speaking negatively about anyone who is not present to defend himself. Sean also impressed upon his colleagues the philosophy that small things have great potential. Just like an acorn that has the potential to become a majestic oak, Sean always inspired us to “grow where you are planted,” no matter of the adversity around us.

Sean Wolfington is definitely one of those who can make things happen. Forging the way in automotive marketing, Sean pioneered successful ventures like Half a Car (my catalyst at Spradley Barr Ford in Colorado), and CyberCar (my internet consultant while working at Chaparral Ford in Texas during the time when the mainstream was trying to figure out how to sell cars online…his trainers came into my dealership and even brought me templates on a 3.5 floppy). Other successful ventures include Automark, BZ Results, Wolfington Companies, Team Velocity, Tier 10 Marketing, Call Revu, Level 5, Car-Mercial, Mobil-Trak, and Digital Compass Marketing.

And, yes, pioneers take arrows! Even the greatest of men was misunderstood and persecuted. Sean is formidably skillful in his endeavors, undoubtedly criticized by some, yet uncompromised in character. He is the most charitable person I know, someone who would give you the shirt off his back. He supports Wolfington Charitable Foundation which actively donates to charities that serve the poor, support positive causes, and promote the values that our country was founded upon, including defending the most defenseless of our brothers and sisters – unwanted unborn children.

From dealer principals, to sales managers, to politicians, to athletes, to entertainers…Sean is there to make the world a better place! One of Sean’s most memorable phrases is, “If you want to make a positive difference in this world, you’ve got to influence the influencers!” During his period of non-compete, he delved into movie-making and produced and financed a highly acclaimed motion picture, “Bella,” with a very poignant message about the sanctity of life. I know, without a shadow of a doubt, that Sean Wolfington impacts the lives of everyone he meets.

Sean Wolfington: digital pioneer, servant leader, motivator, philanthropist, asset to our industry, and friend.

AutoTrader.com Reveals Leadership Changes for Dullea, Skutta & Jezek

By Auto Remarketing Staff

AutoTrader revealed late last week a new role for subsidiary VinSolutions president Mike Dullea, in addition to announcing position changes for other executives.

Dullea has accepted a new position within the AutoTrader group of companies, where he will collaborate with AutoTrader chief executive Chip Perry and vAuto founder Dale Pollak on "a new companywide product innovation team that will explore and develop new product opportunities across the AutoTrader group of companies."

Meanwhile, moving into a leadership role at VinSolutions is Brian Skutta, who has been named vice president and general manager of the company. Skutta is currently general manager of AutoTrader.com's Trade-In Marketplace based in Atlanta.

His new role is effective immediately, and he will report to Keith Jezek, president of vAuto who also assumes responsibility for VinSolutions, the company shared. Keith Jezek has over 20 years of experience in executive management with high technology firms, and has held leadership positions with ADP, Digital Motorworks, LP, Travelogix and Tallard BV.

"Keith has been very successful at running vAuto's business, and there are many natural synergies and linkages that can be replicated at VinSolutions to continue its focus on growth," said Perry, AutoTrader's president and chief executive officer.

"Brian is a strong leader who understands the marketing and operational needs of auto dealers as well as consumer behavior in the car buying process. Keith and Brian will focus on maintaining the company's innovative drive to provide automotive dealers with products that help them operate more efficiently and tap into exciting new marketing opportunities created by the integration of dealership websites, desking tools and CRM systems. They also will champion collaboration efforts between VinSolutions and the other companies in the AutoTrader family,” he further explained.

More on Dullea's New Post

Commenting on Dullea's change, Perry noted, "All of us at AutoTrader.com appreciate the hard work Mike Dullea did in building VinSolutions into an innovative force in the automotive dealer software space and for bringing VinSolutions into the AutoTrader family last year. Mike led the development and rapid growth of VinSolutions into a leader and supplier of cutting edge software products that have had a major impact on the way our customers manage their dealerships.

"We recognize Mike's passion for innovation, and at AutoTrader.com, we too, have always been focused on innovation. Mike's expanded new role will help ensure that we are exploring new product innovation opportunities across the AutoTrader group of companies,” he continued.

Dullea chimed in, expressing his enthusiasm for his new role and responsibility: "I am very excited about this new opportunity working closely with Dale at vAuto, as well as Chip, to develop new and innovative products that ultimately benefit the automotive industry. My passion has always been to innovate and create powerful solutions for dealers.

“I am looking forward to continuing to expand this innovation to the AutoTrader group of companies in order to create new product solutions that leverage powerful technology platforms and benefit the industry. I am leaving VinSolutions in good hands, and I will continue to be part of the AutoTrader group of companies,” he added.

Reactions: 1 person