• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What are the Top 3 questions shoppers ask when they arrive at your car dealership?

joe.pistell

Uncle Joe
Apr 7, 2009
Awards
First Name
Joe
Looking for some help from y'all.

90% of car shoppers arrive at your store, have spent weeks and months doing research. I am interested in that moment when they first arrive.

QUESTION: What are the Top 3 questions shoppers ask when they arrive at your car dealership?

I don't need all 3, I'll take your #1 or #2.

I am looking for what's on the mind of that "stealth up" that just shows up (no lead).

It's not "what's your finance rates".
Its not "how much will you give me for my trade in?"

Thats later.

Do they have an exact VIN in mind?
Do they start in used cars?
Do they start with a model in mind?
Do they start with a model & trim in mind?
Do they start with a model & feature in mind (i.e. "looking for an A4 with Nav...")?

What are the top in-store "discussion starters"?

They start with a model & feature in mind (i.e. "looking for an A4 with Nav...")?

goes something like this "yes, I'm looking for a new silver Nissan Altima with the technology package and leather. According to your website, you have one here"

Reactions: 2 people
For New Cars, here is a example.

1.Do you have this 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport we seen on line in a different color?
Many of them have the stock number and can pull it up on their smart phones faster then us.

2.Can we take one for a test drive?

3. What is your best price?

Reactions: 1 person
Opening questions reveal a great deal about where the shopper has left off on his/her web shopping.

For example:
Do you still have this car...

User Story: "I've been on the internet*, done the homework, looked at hundreds of cars and your car is a finalist... is it here?"

*A website with inventory listed: Your website, OEM's, Classifieds, CL, Ebay, etc...

Last edited:
Opening questions reveal a great deal about where the shopper has left off on his/her web shopping.

For example:
They start with a model & feature in mind (i.e. "looking for an A4 with Nav...")?

User Story: "I've been looking on the web, I like the A4 and Nav,I didn't want to take the time to land on a VIN, I like the A4, I like your store, I came here to fall in love with something"

Last edited:

For example:
"yes, I'm looking for a new silver Nissan Altima with the technology package and leather. According to your website, you have one here"

User Story: "I've done enough homework, the Nissan Altima w/Tech pkg and leather to be ONE of my favorites. I've been everywhere on the net and I found one on your site."

(note: If I was a sales rep, I'd want to know how far away this person has driven and how "scarce" this vehicle is in my market ;-)

Last edited:

For example:
For New Cars, here is a example.
1.Do you have this 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport we seen on line in a different color?

User Story: "I've been online, done my home work and the 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport is on my short list. I've been to your website, seen your inventory but you don't have the color I prefer. I came here to see if you have that color in stock or in-transit, or, maybe you'll invite me to walk the lot and sell me something off the shelf"