• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What is the best looking setup/stage (floor, backdrop, lights) for taking pictures of vehicles in yo

This is my studio.
studioblogpost.gif
Here is a link to our used cars. We sell the turntable in the video and photos. It's around $13k,PM if you have any questions about installation or my experience with it. We went with pure white walls but now I wish we would have went with a light gray.
Chris Branum
Photographer/Internet Mgr.
Mercedes-Benz of Austin
Mercedes-Benz of Austin Texas New Used Car Dealer Certified Pre-Owned

Looks like they are using a vanishing wall and a large overhead lightbox. You can still see the texture in the floor as well as some fluids. Evenness of the lighting looks like it is diffused from overhead.
Here's a look at how Steven Toyota does it...

StevenToyotaVehicleStudio1.jpg

They have a 50' wide, 14' backdrop with curved seams at the walls and floors (referred to by photographers as a cyc, cove or infinity wall).

It's a mini version of how Detroit does it:

Northstage.jpg

Stage 3 Rentals - Detroit

Here's a story on the Steven Toyota studio from Auto Dealer Monthly.

What size did you go with? Had to order custom right?

That link goes to the tarp reseller with the largest inventory (at a fair price) I could find. I had 3 different booths and all 3 were different widths and heights and NONE were custom. I researched the heck out of this micro industry and they're the best I could find. All 3photo booths orders came without delay or back-order.

Here's a look at how Steven Toyota does it...

StevenToyotaVehicleStudio1.jpg

They have a 50' wide, 14' backdrop with curved seams at the walls and floors (referred to by photographers as a cyc, cove or infinity wall).

Hi ya Ed!

Good find. Infinity walls or any all white wall drives digital cameras nuts. IMO, If the camera is not ran by a skilled player WITH a great camera you'll loose a lot of what your eye sees (but the camera cannot recreate). In my experiences, dark blues look black. Fender edges and roof lines on White vehicles disappear into the ether.

What color is this Avalanche?
3312f03f0a0a006400e4cb7d3451e49a.jpg

Looks blue to me, listing says its green. Used 2006 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 LT For Sale | Harrisonburg VA

Plus, Infinity walls can make the vehicle look like its floating in the ether.
d4a0a33c0a0a006400052c6fba5a97e0.jpg

When the eye is looking at a 2d image, it's looking for references to compare and contrast. This Silverado is out floating around on a cloud. Plus, it has that "I've been photoshopped" look.

I'd bet that evox has worked every angle and every scenerio possible to come up with this "ideal compromise".
5944_st0320_046.jpg

Last edited:
Note: I completely surround the photo area with curtain (tarp) so we don't have to move the car at all.
Note2: To hold up the curtains, I used empty electrical conduit suspended by cable from the ceiling and used zip ties as curtain hangars.

Totally cheap and totally works.

Great info, I am hoping to get something put together soon in our detail shop to avoid the "snow" photos.

If you can get that isolated look, power to you. Seems like a lot of post photoshopping unles you invest in the perfect set up. If you were to go with colors that physiologically effect the prospect ... They say that blue emotes quality and trust. Red is an action color, and green makes people want to send money.