• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What's your understanding of today's Internet Benchmarks

Interesting question as I was just looking for the correct place to post a similar topic!
I am in a unique position as I manage the internet department for a three store Harley-Davidson group in the North East. We have a separate BDC that handles all calls that are not sales related. I have one designated Internet sales person working for me and our goal is to set appts. The appointments are handed off once the customers arrive at the stores.
I have been tracking our progress for roughly nine months and here are our current 9 month averages (keep in mind that we are somewhat seasonal...) and coming off a very tough winter!

We are converting 34% of all internet leads to appointments.
75% of the appointments show.
49% of them buy

This translates to a 15% closing ratio on all internet leads. Not sure how we measure up but I would love to hear some feedback and suggestions to get better!

Interesting question as I was just looking for the correct place to post a similar topic!
I am in a unique position as I manage the internet department for a three store Harley-Davidson group in the North East. We have a separate BDC that handles all calls that are not sales related. I have one designated Internet sales person working for me and our goal is to set appts. The appointments are handed off once the customers arrive at the stores.
I have been tracking our progress for roughly nine months and here are our current 9 month averages (keep in mind that we are somewhat seasonal...) and coming off a very tough winter!

We are converting 34% of all internet leads to appointments.
75% of the appointments show.
49% of them buy

This translates to a 15% closing ratio on all internet leads. Not sure how we measure up but I would love to hear some feedback and suggestions to get better!

That's pretty good. Heres what you should be doing bare minimum

Lets say you get 200 leads a month
You're only going to get in contact with (return email, pick up the phone, etc) 50% of them
Of those 50% (100 people now) of them you should be setting appointments for 50% of those (50 people)
Of those 50 people 80% should be showing up (40 customers)
Of those 40 showed appointments you should be closing 50% of them
That brings you to 20 sales

It's going to vary month by month but take your yearly avg and you should be at these #s at a minimum.

The goal is 15% close of opportunity here, which is tough considering the number of Honda dealers near me (we do it anyways). I've always preached contact to opportunity (actual interaction), appointment to contact, show to appointment, and sold to show.

Also, a HUGE measuring point is I compare the reps to each other on their p/c gross. A large difference in p/c could mean the customer is not being brought in cleanly, and with the right expectations. If someone is too low it may mean they are not approaching customers right and there can be improvement on the appointment and show percentages.

Great insights above - I also look at differences between new v used. In my experience, used typically has a higher set & kept appointment ratio than new. Only because on a new car, people could be shopping 6 different dealers! While with used, they more than likely aren't shopping as many.

Also - your percentages for phone v internet are different, too!