• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Why is Video so difficult?

Hey Chris, are these the videos you did for your campaign?

Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNvcbzYYky65426UKZlWm8A

Video Walkaround: https://www.youtube.com/embed/E5jDAfbQKLU

To be honest these videos have no value to me as a shopper. The visual quality is fine, but wheres the audio? Tell me about this beautiful Camaro I'm looking at here, PLEASE!

I don't think you can pass any judgement on those videos, I could have told you and probably anyone here who has done video walkarounds that those would fail any test for view throughs or measurable activity. Joe is right on for measuring the viewers sentiment by the amount of time spent viewing the videos. That's your video quality gauge.

I get the feeling that there is not enough buy-in here with you or someone else at the dealership? Especially to let this video "test" happen and then abandon the "test" because there wasn't any traffic benefit. Videos are a time commitment. I think the issues you have are time vs. benefit. It probably does not effect the payplan so there is no value in spending the time to do video walkarounds. You can read my posts here in the thread for some good video walkarounds, it's a team strategy and you need a solid process, and it does drive activity if done right.

Each video is done as part of our follow up process. they are not being done as a stand alone youtube experiment. I use Youtube as the host only because Dealersocket integrates with Youtube for their embed button. Which when clicked on inside an email takes you to a customized landing page which is correctly formatted and shows you the video.

Don't get it twisted and think I am some lone ranger trying to hitch my wagon to some crazy idea and hope it works out.

I'm not trying to argue the point of whats a good walkaround and whats not. By all means do whatever you think works for you.

This works for us and trust me there is plenty of buy in all the way up through our principal

My only point in all of this is that the main point of this thread talks about video being hard but also important.

My goal was to show you that video isn't just a walkarounds but when it comes to a walkaround they can be super easy.

Last edited:
Chris Obviously what your doing is better then nothing and your process is going to be different, then pretty much any other store, every store has their quirks. To be honest i'm interested in your approach, I may not be sold but it still interests me because you seem to believe in it strongly. Also I would never try to make the impression over here that we are expert on the subject, as you can see from my post way at the beginning some of our workarounds are mediocre. I do know this though implementing video in most cases is going to be positive.

On the subject of the Camaro Vid, obviously they want to know it is available, but I can think of a million things to say or that the customer may want to know. For us we want to make the appointment (which I'm hoping most of you do as well), we want the customer to see and hear their salesperson, that way when they come in they already know who they are looking for and why they should buy our "Camaro" not the one down the street, use the video to build rapport and value.

Last thing, If you were the person that sent the lead in on that camaro. What more do you think you would want to know other than the fact thats its real and sitting here on the lot?

Uncle Joe Rule #66:
"If the Internet is so awesome, then why do so many car shoppers arrive at the dealership with more questions than answers?"

Uncle Joe Rule #67:
"If the Internet is so awesome, then why do our car shoppers almost always buy a different can than the one that brought them in?"

Uncle Joe Rule #68:
"If the Internet is so awesome, then where are all the shopping carts?"

HTH
Joe

first off you need to pick what you're trying to sell.

1. Selling the appt.
This is why we do it how we do. Just enough to want more. It's like lingerie.

2 selling the car
In the case of you "may" knowing what questions they "might" have and want to know about. Truth be told you don't know most of the time and can insult someone's inteligence.
Also, if your video is to sell the car then you're not selling the appt.

3. Selling you
This never works. We are talking about the Internet here. The biggest place in the world to not care. If you send someone a video with a sales person and the person watching it may be racist or not like women salespeople or Hispanics. You've lost that person before you even started.

Joe, you're rules don't make sense.

It's not that I don't get the series of rhetorical questions you propose.
It's that I don't know what your definition of the subject matter is. In this case "The Internet"

I would like to understand your rules. I think I might just need a bit more context is all.

Chris, you wrote:
"If you were the person that sent the lead in on that [pick any model]. What more do you think you would want to know other than the fact thats its real and sitting here on the lot?"

From your reply, you've concluded that all that's left on the shopper's mind is "is it real and do you have it now?".

My observations of a few jillion car shoppers tells me a very different story. I have found that most shoppers are no where near a highly-confident understanding of what they're looking at. Re-look at the 3 observations as evidence.

Uncle Joe Rule #66:
"If the Internet is so awesome, then why do so many car shoppers arrive at the dealership with more questions than answers?"

Uncle Joe Rule #67:
"If the Internet is so awesome, then why do our car shoppers almost always buy a different can than the one that brought them in?"

Uncle Joe Rule #68:
"If the Internet is so awesome, then where are all the shopping carts?"

In my crazy view of the world, all the evidence I see says the majority of car shoppers use the internet prepare them for the dealer visit. IMO your store is the final source of truth in their long and fragmented journey.

If you can't see what I see, that's ok. If what you're doing is working, more power to ya.

HTH
Joe

Last edited:
BTW,
If the mission of the videos are to answer:
"What more do you think you would want to know other than the fact thats its real and sitting here on the lot?"

No validation.
No Stock Sticker. No VIN. No Price Sticker. No time stamp.

Don't take this as a negative, just fresh eyes looking in :)

HTH
Joe