• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Why Yelp should Seriously Eat S*^&% and Die

He originally tried pitching us on advertising on Yelp (again). But I called on him when no one else at Yelp would help us out and he came through for us and got them to update the listing numbers. also noteworthy he mentioned seeing my comments here on DR.

A lot of vendors I work with routinely wonder if I am smack talking them here. But the way I look at it this is a place for dealers by dealers (if I may be so bold) and we are well within our right to air any and all dirty laundry. I do try to give kudos when deserved... it can be difficult though in this business.

Yelp, Yelp, Yelp, Daniel! Are you blogging about your bad reviews on the dealership blogs and answering the bad reviews?
There is always two sides of a story and the customers are willing to here it.
That would be the first thing I would do to overcome them showing up in the SERPs.

Question?
Why would anybody use other review sites and not build their own?
Who would have control now?
How can they keep you hostage now?

I do believe that reviews are important with Google and only a handful of review sites, but build and take care of your own review site first, than you can reach out to your happy customers and ask them for some help on the others sites.

www.YelpQuirkAutoReviews.com

PS A happy customer will do almost anything for you!

Manny, I know you hang out at some of the lesser sites, don't be a stranger on DealerRefresh.

For the record, I had lunch with Manny a couple of weeks ago. He shared with me some of the things he is developing. Really innovative. He is literally blowing up traffic on dealer websites.

Deja vu, eh Yago? We discussed this at length in Nov of 2011: http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/f43/dealers-flooding-review-sites-fake-user-reviews-1879-5.html
Question?

I do believe that reviews are important with Google and only a handful of review sites, but build and take care of your own review site first, than you can reach out to your happy customers and ask them for some help on the others sites.

Why would anybody use other review sites and not build their own? Who would have control now?

The really easy answer is that they know that the consumer would view their "review" site, the one that they have 100% control over the content, as nothing more than marketing making the effort useless. The consumer hears enough of "what you have to say about you" in your radio, TV and display ads. The reason that reviews from a 3rd party are powerful is because they focus on "what others have to say about you." Sorry, I'm going to take a shot at some folks here, but do you think for a minute the customer doesn't know who owns the www.ilovexyzdealer domains? I'd be really clear that those are a highlight reel of sorts if leveraging them to win an appointment.

Yago and I kicked this around pre Sept 2013 when the concept of Astroturfing took center stage in the national headlines due to the state of NY's punitive legal action against 13 businesses. How much more aware, and frankly on guard against exactly this, is the consumer now to marketing posing as reviews?

PS. I'm ALWAYS right! For proof I offer this website featuring my testimonials that say so ;) http://ryanleslie-hesalwaysright.yolasite.com/

(Editing Note: I know we have a lot of newer folks and lurkers on the forum that may not know that Yago and I have had some spirited conversations over the last 4 years on this topic. We don't always agree, but we can laugh about it when we see each other. The "website" is an extension of that and the joke may fall really flat without the back-story. If you're lurking, JUMP IN! There are a lot of genuinely good folks that frequent this forum. You don't have to agree with any of them to enjoy the conversation.)

Last edited:
Yelp, Yelp, Yelp, Daniel! Are you blogging about your bad reviews on the dealership blogs and answering the bad reviews?
There is always two sides of a story and the customers are willing to here it.
That would be the first thing I would do to overcome them showing up in the SERPs.

Question?

Dude clearly you haven't read the post!
This has nothing to do with negative reviews I was trying to get Yelp to allow my company to update our listing phone numbers for each store because the numbers they were showing were not ringing to the proper places.

Already built our own elicitation tool Quirk Auto Dealers Reviews and we have a dedicated page for every store (optimized for search) that shows only our best reviews.

Please read the thread before commenting

I find it ironic that Yelp asks dealers to spend money with them to market with SEM and feature their Yelp page. Um, the same Yelp page that prominently features and promotes negative reviews about your dealership and filters out the positive ones (while the negative ones never disappear). Now why would a dealer want to pay to promote that online?

Reactions: 2 people
^ Unfortunately no. And to make matters worse I've discovered that I'm not out of the woods yet. Although our online listings seem to have updated people who siri us for contact info are still seeing and dialing the incorrect phone number. It is my understanding that Apple's SIRI function queries Yelp for Listing info, Reviews, and contact info... looks like that it is only a partial truth or that the update process lags...

Either way this still blows!

Dude clearly you haven't read the post!
This has nothing to do with negative reviews I was trying to get Yelp to allow my company to update our listing phone numbers for each store because the numbers they were showing were not ringing to the proper places.

Already built our own elicitation tool Quirk Auto Dealers Reviews and we have a dedicated page for every store (optimized for search) that shows only our best reviews.

Please read the thread before commenting

I understand your point and why Yelp needs to eat shit for holding you hostage with the phones jacked up!

I did read it, reviews sites need content and without fresh content they will fail.
Try to think big like Cars.com, Autotrader, and Edmuds.com. Why do they push the dealers customers to these sites?
Dealers are asking customers everyday to go to these sites to post fresh reviews.#SEO

@Review site:
The review sites has to be built as a real review site for everything not just cars. Your the owner of the site and get paid from Google AdWords for all the ads. Also you control the banner ads for New and Used Cars, Car Loans ect...
We are a totally weird internet marketing company that do #RCS
If you wish we can build one for you with zero investment needed, 60% of the profits to your dealer and 40% to us coming from paid ads only.
You will own the site and we will manage it with all your new and used cars inventory on it.
A site that generates 40,000 visitors should pay out about 20,000 a month.

I hope every works out for you, and you find the best solution!

PS. Yelp is a powerful source to high jack traffic from if you know what your doing:)

I will do my very best to help everyone:)
Life is to short

Manny Luna
On the black top!

Reactions: 1 person