• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Salesperson Facebook page

AdamB

Green Pea
Feb 26, 2014
First Name
Adam
I am thinking of trying to set up a Facebook page for myself as a way to keep in contact with customers and drive repeat/referral business. Does anyone have experience with this and have any tips on how to do it effectively? Any examples that someone can point me to that I can use as a basic model?

Hey Adam,

Welcome to the boards and thanks for posting!

When I was selling, I just connected with my customers on my personal Facebook account. I wanted to continue that post-sale relationship in a very personal way and it definitely paid off for me.

And even though I haven't been on the sales floor in over three years, to this day I chat up my old customers and they provide repeat and referral business each and every month that I pass on to my stores.

Of course, if you go this route you have to be a little careful of what you're posting, but that's a whole other discussion :)

I'm sure some others will drop by soon with some more suggestions.

Thanks. I get a fair amount of business off my personal page from family & friends but I wouldn't bring regular customers to my personal page. I'm trying to decide if its best to make a second personal account, or make a fan page similar to what the dealership level does which requires people to "like" it rather than friend requests. And then what kind of content to post so as to draw interest and engage people without being too sales oriented.

Here's what you should do Adam.

1. Create a separate facebook account just for work.

2. Take professional picture of yourself and make it the main photo. Take a picture of the dealership and use it as the header picture.

3. Everyone you meet (sold or unsold) gets a facebook friend invite. Make sure you get full names and e-mails, this will make inviting people easier. Then you send them a message like this on facebook:

"(Customer Name), It was a pleasure meeting you today at (dealership name). I wanted to thank you for taking the time to stop in. I noticed you are on facebook so I thought I would send you an invitation to connect. I know you have a lot of choices when it comes to purchasing an automobile and I hope to earn your business by providing you with excellent service before and after the sale. If there is anything I can ever do, please do let me know how I can help." Sincerely, Adam"

My message would be a little different if I sold them on the first visit.

4. Every time you sell a vehicle, ask people if it would be okay to take a picture of them to post to your facebook wall of happy customers. Then ask if it's okay to tag them in the photo. Most people will be cool with this since they like to show off their new car. And you posting the picture makes them seem less vain. Those who are well spoken should be shot in a promotional video that is posted to your YouTube account and then shared on facebook.

5. Wish everyone a happy birthday each day on facebook.

6. Once a week make a walk around video of your favorite used car and post the video on facebook. Write a message that asks your friends to share the video so we can find this car a happy home.

7. Get with your service manager and post a service special on your wall occasionally.

8. Use the events feature to invite people to sales or new model intorductions.

9. Look for opportunities to engage with customers when they post something. People like when other people comment on something they posted or wrote. This is your opportunity to win them over as a friend.

10. Use the chat feature to make contact if you can't reach somebody by phone.

11. When befriending a new potential customer, look for mutual friends, this will help you build instant rapport with somebody. As your following grows, this will happen more often.

12. Don't let it become a distraction, spend your time on facebook wisely.

Side Note: Managers, consider having salespeople create a facebook account that is controlled by the dealership. Tie it to the work e-mail, this way if an employee leaves the dealership they won't be able to take their customers with them to another dealership.

Hope that gives you some insight as to how to properly use facebook. Consider facebook as a social CRM tool. This will really help you build a customer base that won't forget your name.

Reactions: 1 person
Wow, that really helps a lot! Thank you so much. Now for the display name, should I just use my name, or something like "Adam Barnes - I sell cars at ABC Motors"? And would how do you suggest growing my network beyond just people I have actually spoken to? In other words, how do I effectively engage "friends of friends"?

"And then what kind of content to post so as to draw interest and engage people without being too sales oriented. "

Adam. The best content is anything that is relative to your brand or brands of automobile. Honda - Ford etc... are providing content from their Facebook sites that you can use. Honda has so many fascinating things going on, from robots to airplanes.

Anything that has to do with car maintenance would be something a customer would want to know about.

That is my advice.

Wow, that really helps a lot! Thank you so much. Now for the display name, should I just use my name, or something like "Adam Barnes - I sell cars at ABC Motors"?

I would use your normal name. Not opposed to your suggestion, just wouldn't want facebook to see that and say here is a guy with a business and it should be a fan page.

And would how do you suggest growing my network beyond just people I have actually spoken to? In other words, how do I effectively engage "friends of friends"?

By asking for referrals and prospecting. See those scripts on my scripts page.

AdamB - The beauty with social media is tagging. You sell a car and if the customer says ok, you take a photo of the customer with the new purchase.
When you tag the customer, his or her friends on FB will be notified. A simple way to network to your customers family and friends.

Adam,
Welcome to the forum. You've received some great advice from the other posts. A few more thoughts...First, remember that Facebook is a "Social Media" site. Back in 2004 its original mission statement was "to give people the power to share and make the world more open and connected." Nowhere does it mention being a "marketplace." Therefore, stay "social" and avoid pitching your dealerships products and services. But, by all means have a conversation about the quality of those products and services. Also, make sure you check with your dealership on their "Social Media" policies. All dealerships today should have a policy on what their employees can and cannot post online as it relates to their business.