• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What camera do you use for pre-owned inventory?

My Battle weapon: Canon Sx-200.

Best 28mm wide angle poiint n shoot with lowest barreling distortion I could find.

I've set up studies, interior shots are viewed more than exterior. Need proof? Check your stats, ask your webmaster. Your shoppers have already seen the car in parking lots & magazines. They're very interested in interior shots, wide angle is were its at!

Just another DR tip from your 'ol Uncle Joe

Great info on the camera. I am thinking about swithching from Ebiz to inhouse for our used car and new car photos. Is there a software I can buy to handle the uploading of photos of numerous vehicles. We do about 10 used cars a day plus another 15 to 20 new cars and uploading one by one is tedious.

Not that I've seen for eBiz, but we've been using the .zip file uploader for a while and are more than happy with it. Run our photos through the watermark, zip them up in XP (right click, Send To > Compressed (zipped) Folder), upload. Pop open enough tabs, and you can even juggle uploads. (Great when you're in a rush trying to get everything up by 5:00.)

As for the original topic, we're still using our Nikon D60 on manual and RAW; manual to get things showing as we want them, RAW so we can get away with photographic murder (so long as we were within a stop or so of being right). We adjust (crop, exposure, etc.) in iPhoto and resize/watermark using FastStone Photo Resizer (a holdover from when we were Windows-based; it works great, we had the formatting right, and we had a license). It's not the choice everyone would make, but it's worked well for us (even through training a rookie).

An earlier post mentioned Lightroom. I would agree that it can handle most any batch processing, export batches, add watermarks, and do normal processing. Especially if you are shooting RAW. If you use the same process over and over, you can automate the functions and export to a formatted type and style that you need. Even resize to a specific long edge during export. Right now Lightroom 3 is in Beta and is free to download and try. You can get any sort of help and answers by simple google searches on how to process in Lightroom.

Cheers!

For iPhone owners, we recommend our partner, Owle, and their "Bubo" for $159. It's a sturdy piece of hardware with a 37mm .45x wide-angle/macro combination lens and a microphone input. Your iPhone simply snaps in and allows you to steady the cam with the ability to take great video/audio. If you have an iPhone4, you know how good those photos and videos can be.

For eCarList dealers - you are able to take pics and upload them instantly from the iPhone into your Inventory Management Software which will go live on your website instantly. Stay tuned for a video demonstration from eCarList on the best uses for the Owle Bubo.

OWLE - The Super Duper iPhone Live Broadcaster - tell them eCarList sent ya.

I'm using the Vincamera by vinsolutions which is a rebranded Ricoh camera that they have a little bit of custom software in. My stock numbers are in the camera so I can associate cars with their stock# as I'm shooting them. Shaved off about 6-8 hours a week off my cameraman and manager's time total. Expensive little puppy, but it'll pay itself off in a matter of months.

For iPhone owners, we recommend our partner, Owle, and their "Bubo" for $159. It's a sturdy piece of hardware with a 37mm .45x wide-angle/macro combination lens and a microphone input. Your iPhone simply snaps in and allows you to steady the cam with the ability to take great video/audio. If you have an iPhone4, you know how good those photos and videos can be.

For eCarList dealers - you are able to take pics and upload them instantly from the iPhone into your Inventory Management Software which will go live on your website instantly. Stay tuned for a video demonstration from eCarList on the best uses for the Owle Bubo.

OWLE - The Super Duper iPhone Live Broadcaster - tell them eCarList sent ya.

Terrence - can you use this with the new iPod Touch that has the camera?

If you want to dig in the pocket a little deeper than what a typical point n shoot will fetch, you can step up to one of the new micro 4/3 cameras. Just a little larger than a point n shoot but the photo quality and lens of a DSLR.

I bought the Panasonic fornpersonal use butnhave taken some awesome vehicle photos with it. It's magic in bad lighting conditions. Like I said, it might be a little out of the budget but you'll be getting and awesome camera.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Old thread, but relevant to me. I use a Canon 40D with a run-of-the mill Canon 18-55mm EFS IS lens. The only reason I use this camera is because I do sports photography as well, but it's a pain because it shoots in a 3:2 aspect ratio and all sites want you to upload in 4:3. It's too much cropping.

Does anyone who uses a DSLR camera have any thoughts on the best settings?