• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Twitter For Your Dealership: Why & How

kurbain

Rust & Dust
Jun 23, 2010
First Name
Katie
At first glance, Twitter might seem a bit silly. I mean, how much can you actually say in 140 characters? I have to admit, after much usage and experimenting, the value I have found in Twitter has been quite a surprise to me. So much so, that I figured I should help you get over that hump and get the most out of Twitter right out of the gates.

Here is a run down on why Twitter can help your dealership and how to get the most out of it Right Now.

Customer Service
The most advantageous way to use Twitter in your dealership is to listen for and encourage customer feedback. If someone is not happy with your service or sales they quite possibly could complain about you on Twitter. By responding to this complaint, you show your willingness to listen and care, not just to the complainer but to all your Twitter followers. It also gives users a quick point of contact if they have questions or concerns.
How: Use Hootsuite to manage your Twitter account. Set up a column of search keywords, use variations of your dealership name to catch any mentions of you on Twitter.

Conversations
Do you like to chat with customers & prospects? Why not do it on Twitter? By following local people on Twitter you can enter the conversation, whatever it might be. Someone posts a complaint about the weather or traffic or other local interest, you can jump in to show you care. This adds humanity to your dealership, which can go a long way.
How: Use the Twitter search bar to find Tweets in Your Area, and follow those people. Or use Twellowhood to find users in your area. Also follow back customers when they begin to follow you.

Share Expert Advice
Giving quick tips through Twitter about car buying, maintenance or service is an easy way to be the expert in your field. You already have the information in house, start sharing it. This will also encourage your followers to ask relevant questions through the medium too. Someone's check engine light comes on, and they don't know what they should do, they can and will ask you on Twitter.
How: Post quick tips regularly on Twitter. You can get a list from your service manager, or ask for specifics when inclement weather or news sparks a little buzz around a topic. If the tip is longer, use bit.ly to provide a short link to a full “How To†Article posted on your website or Facebook.

Customer Appreciation
Create a little bit of incentive or bonus for those who follow you on Twitter. While we try to stay away from selling, every once in a while offer them a deal that no one else gets. A super great service deal. A cash back offer on buying a car. Whatever the deal is, it has to be special.
How: Share a coupon that you have online but no one else knows about with a bit.ly short link. Or simply allow them to mention that they read it on Twitter to get the deal.

Growing Your Reach
With Twitter you have the chance to reach a lot of people. Say you are posting a great tip on car maintenance, you have a chance of being re-tweeted exponentially by others in the industry or car owners who think the tip was good and want to share. This is the easiest word of mouth your customers can give you. Good content from you and one click from them is all it takes to spread your brand.
How: #1 - Good content. #2 - Try and leave room for the Retweet, making the post 140 characters minus your @ handle + 3 characters. So if your handle is @handle – keep your post 130 characters or less.

Keep up with Industry News
Staying in tune with industry and OEM news is a job in and of itself. With Twitter you can follow all the relevant people and organizations in the auto dealership industry to keep up to date. If a huge recall is announced or a new car is launched, it will be on Twitter, in almost real time. By following all the right people you will never miss industry news again.
How: Use the Twitter search bar to search for OEM names and dealership keywords. Follow the people who talk about those things. If you find someone who is prominent in the Twitter-verse for dealerships, look at their Following list and follow those who are relevant to you.

There are many other benefits of using Twitter - but this should get you started. Do you have any great tips to add to my list?

PS. Twitter is search engine friendly. Your Twitter content will be found by google, adding SEO value.

wow, great tips! We have a twitter page, but I barely use it and have been struggling with ideas for it. but this points me in a good direction. Now my next step is to actually get people to 'follow' us.. that is the challenge. i think right now we have like 10 followers at the most. and it is mostly local newspapers and other dealerships.

Recent studies show that less than 8% of Americans use Twitter -- with the primary demographic being from 18 to 29. So if that demographic fits you brand, Twitter is worth some focus. Personally, I'd put more of an investment of daily resources into Facebook in 2011. Twitter's US traffic is merely 2% of Facebook, and their active user base around 5% that of Facebook.

Hi Jeremy - I am glad it helped. Many times people will follow you back when you follow them. Also, I might suggest adding your Twitter feed to your website, your twitter handle to your email signature, and adding your twitter handle to newspaper ads, service RO's and maybe even put a sign up around the dealership telling people you are on Twitter. Most people think of Twitter as strictly social - and might not even consider looking for their dealership on Twitter, so make sure you tell them. (Tell them you are on Facebook too)

Good Luck!

Hi David.
I agree with you that most people are on Facebook and much less are on Twitter. Certainly this is even more true in suburban and rural areas as Twitter is more popular in urban areas. But, there is a lot of value to be had with Twitter. So it is simply a matter of making sure you spend your time proportionately on the one that is more valuable to your area and your audience.

I wrote a pretty easy to follow free e-book "intro to twitter for car dealers". This was out of necessity as I had so many clients not even know where to start: Intro to Twitter For Car Dealers

I'm looking into it right now. thanks.
this is why i finally signed up for this forum, the knowledge and help is seemingly endless. In such a competitive business, there are so many people willing to help and push you in the right direction, even if it is something as minor as facebook and twitter.