• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Social Media Marketing:Which sites you are using?

Here I disagree 100%. Social Media - to really be effective at a car deal level is easy. It is the same thing as selling a car to your wife's co-worker, son's basketball coach or someone on the church council. It is the same thing all successful salespeople do. Interact with the community around you. It is just a different community - and it happens to be infinitely easier to interact with.

There is no game plan, no money needs to be spent. It is as simple as, "Hi. How are you. My name is Clay. Nice to meet you." and then, at some point in time they might ask what you do. And then a year or two later they may say - "Hey, you have any deals on Highlanders?" And then you can work a deal and make a sale.

This is no different. Anybody trying to spend a bunch of time and money on making social media a marketing playground is going to fail miserably. Social media is anti-marketing. In the end, all you will end up doing is making a bunch of friends wtih a bunch of other marketing people - and everyone will be happy they have 1,000,000 friends or followers. Too bad their message won't go anywhere and they won't be selling anything.

Embrace social media for what it is.

Here's a quality question ... Has Toyota's effort in social media trickled down into qualified leads or sales for Muller Toyota?

So if Ford spends 1/4 of their marketing budget on social media, why does a Ford Dealer need their own social footprint?

That mean you are saying if any dealer is selling Ford car, they dont need social media!But how come people know, how much social reputation you have as Ford dealer while you have competitor's on your locality, what is the difference!Every one should have their own social media presence to represent their social identity and their social reputation.
For that effect as we all know, even Google is showing social signals as SERP,Take a look Matt Cutts word:YouTube - Does Google use data from social sites in ranking?, dont you think that signifies social media effects online marketing for car dealers as well?

Last edited:
Anirban,

If you don't understand automotive consumers, then your logic makes sense. If you don't know what I mean, WATCH THIS VIDEO http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/f40/damn-you-internetz-1503.html and revisit your hypothesis.

Shoppers WANT to negotiate. Negotiating is not pleasant. Negotiating the Car Deal - Consumers Are Out For Blood | DealerRefresh

When was the last time you grinded Dell to get a better price??

@Joe, thanks for sharing a video, I hope marketers will gain some thing from that besides studying mantras from Philip Kotler's marketing strategies.The test is different for various industries marketing prospect, we should obey the 4P rules but the main mantra is same for every marketers is branding,growth and of-course sails.
Marketers should have various approaches to allure the consumers to their offerings, and ultimate goal of a marketer is to sell and attain profits. He may deal with customers by approach prospect or avoidance prospect.

Approach prospect refers to focus on promotion, to promote the product and brand and reputation avoidance prospect focuses on prevention, that is, marketers pitch a product on the harms of not using it.

Last edited:
Anirban,

You are driven by data and concepts. You are arriving at conclusions by association. You are in INDIA. You really need to set aside your studies and your conclusions and READ these forums.

I am not sure if you realize that you're engaging with the smartest players in the USA. I repeat. THIS IS A RESEARCH RESOURCE. New Concepts, best practices, actual field results and more. You won't find it anywhere else!

In that vein, I showed you that video on purpose because you're not seeing the REALITY of Auto Sales. Revisit that video and understand the contentious relationship between consumer and auto dealer. Next, you must recognize that this relationship is NOT the same as the Consumer to Factory relationship. This will lead you to understand how the automobile consumer/automobile dealer relationship does not translate well into Social Media. Lastly, this has been going on for GENERATIONS.

@ Clay,

I really appreciate your thoughts on this. Question for you, If collecting "friends" on a fanpage and having 1,000's of Twits following your tweets doesn't translate to a sale, sounds like you're saying that the social scene is much more appropriate/effective for the individual that works AT the dealership as opposed to the dealership itself? Would you agree with that?

Uncle Joe says the relationship between the consumer and dealer is adversarial, I don't disagree. All the studies are somewhere between a colonoscopy and a root canal on the fun scale for most people.

The sky is always falling, so is the industry really facing a hiring dilemma as discussed on the blog, not a new technology crisis? Seems to me that the dealer needs to be in the social game for reputation management but needs to be actively recruiting and hiring sales professionals that can leverage their personal contacts and relationships online for sales. Does effective social media strategy really just mean a renewed emphasis on hiring and training "real" people with "real" friends?

I guess if you need a colonoscopy, you'd rather get one from a friend than from some stranger you thought was trying to scr... nevermind. ;)

@ Clay,

I really appreciate your thoughts on this. Question for you, If collecting "friends" on a fanpage and having 1,000's of Twits following your tweets doesn't translate to a sale, sounds like you're saying that the social scene is much more appropriate/effective for the individual that works AT the dealership as opposed to the dealership itself? Would you agree with that?

Uncle Joe says the relationship between the consumer and dealer is adversarial, I don't disagree. All the studies are somewhere between a colonoscopy and a root canal on the fun scale for most people.

The sky is always falling, so is the industry really facing a hiring dilemma as discussed on the blog, not a new technology crisis? Seems to me that the dealer needs to be in the social game for reputation management but needs to be actively recruiting and hiring sales professionals that can leverage their personal contacts and relationships online for sales. Does effective social media strategy really just mean a renewed emphasis on hiring and training "real" people with "real" friends?

I guess if you need a colonoscopy, you'd rather get one from a friend than from some stranger you thought was trying to scr... nevermind. ;)

The approach that we've taken is the "customers don't like dealerships, they like people" one.....sure we have an online social presence for the dealership, but by getting the employees who want to be on Facebook anyway to understand the power a network holds and how to grow, nurture and inform that network who they are and what they do we have been able to grow our salespeople and help them help us. Check the fans of most Dealers who claim to have big fan counts, probably all the usual suspects vendors, consultants, gurus and the like. Most salespeople have a real network of real "suspects" who when nurtured just may buy a car from them.

Anirban,

You are driven by data and concepts. You are arriving at conclusions by association. You are in INDIA. You really need to set aside your studies and your conclusions and READ these forums.

I am not sure if you realize that you're engaging with the smartest players in the USA. I repeat. THIS IS A RESEARCH RESOURCE. New Concepts, best practices, actual field results and more. You won't find it anywhere else!

In that vein, I showed you that video on purpose because you're not seeing the REALITY of Auto Sales. Revisit that video and understand the contentious relationship between consumer and auto dealer. Next, you must recognize that this relationship is NOT the same as the Consumer to Factory relationship. This will lead you to understand how the automobile consumer/automobile dealer relationship does not translate well into Social Media. Lastly, this has been going on for GENERATIONS.
thanks Joe!

i've been following along for a while with these social media threads. I pay lots of attention to them just to see if i can pick up some tips and whatever, being that social media is a big part of my job. some or all of this probably has been said by numberous people over and over, but this is my input.
someone recently posted to "take social media as it is." i think that's probably the best way to go about it. i run our dealership facebook and twitter, and if the sales people want their own individual one that is up to them. but the way we look at it here, is just to get our name out there in another medium, rather than just radio or tv, etc. but we don't slam all sorts of deals and pricings and the like in eveyrones face. that's jut going to get you blocked, ignored, and annoy people. we use it to post quick messages, interact, and put up weekly videos. just so the "big bad car dealership with the evil sales people" seems a little more human and approachable.
social media IS a great thing, when it's used correctly. until there are REAL results and a sure fire way to get social media to make more deals, don't use it as overkill and go absolutely nuts about why facebook isnt getting you tons of customers in the door. i'm not picking on anyone, but bar graphs make my eyes bleed :banghead:
maybe i completely missed the point of this topic and thread, but I just had to get my view out there.

Anirban,

Joe.... Smartest players in the USA and 1 Canadian Joker from Toronto and Mitch Gallant from Regina, SK (0.5) so 1.5 Canadians.