• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Will you buy a .car .cars or .auto extension?

I think its a bit early to just throw this idea away and say its a waste of money. Even more so in areas with a high saturation of dealer websites.

In my opinion its going to take time and testing to see how search engine are going to rank these extensions.

Besides, my OCD loves the ability to have things more organized with these extensions.

http://searchengineland.com/google-explains-how-they-handle-the-new-top-level-domains-tlds-225671, etc.

Google, Bing, etc. do some strange things (mostly for their own benefit), but I don't see them classifying TLDs with any additional value. Google has a lot of experience in returning relevant web pages, regardless of the top-level domain (TLD). Google will attempt to rank new TLDs appropriately, but I don't expect a new TLD to get any kind of initial preference over .com, and I wouldn't bet on that happening in the long-term either. If you want to register an entirely new TLD for other reasons, that's your choice, but you shouldn't register a TLD in the mistaken belief that you'll get some sort of boost in search engine rankings.

It just does not seem like it's worth it, but there's always a chance the search engines might give it some added juice.
  1. What does Google want? They want relevant, real content on the internet that people want to read and tell other people about. If Google doesn’t bring you the most relevant content when you search, they aren’t doing their job. So by definition, even the word Search Engine Optimization (SEO) means to “game” the Google search engines (and others) to get your valuable content ranked higher than it would be if left alone to the forces of the Web. The bottom line is that all external SEO efforts are counterfeit other than: Writing, designing, recording, or videoing real and relevant content that benefits those who search.
  2. SEO of any kind is pursued by gaming the system.There is nothing “natural” about any form of SEO.The fundamental concept of SEO is exploiting a flaw in a search engine’s ranking algorithm. The difference between white and black hat tactics is merely a function of where Google decides to draw a line, and this line is at least somewhat arbitrary. Google's goal is to confuse search engine optimization (SEO) efforts and to uncover aggressive SEO techniques through delaying, or obfuscating results from SEO changes being made.
Apologies to anyone in the SEO business. :)

Last edited:
Interesting study!

A Car Dealership Moved to a .CARS Domain. You Won’t Believe What Happened Next

"Based on our thorough review of the keyword rankings, third party data, Google Analytics data, and Google Search Console data, we have concluded that the site did not suffer anything as a result of the move. We have observed direct evidence that the site’s overall search engine rankings have gone up. The website’s overall traffic is trending upwards since the website was moved from StlMotorcars.com to Stl.Cars. Globe Runner can independently verify that the move from STLMotorcars.com to STL.CARS was beneficial for St. Louis Motorcars as far as organic search traffic is concerned."

Interesting little find @Ed Brooks but not one I would place much weight on. The title alone reads like one from the pages of TMV. Could they possibly stuff the article with the phrase .CARS domain anymore than what they have?

I doubt a high end luxury dealer selling Lambos, Bently, Lotus, Rolls, Bugatti and Aston Martin is hardly the best dealer website for a case study.

"Globe Runner chose to look in-depth at St. Louis Motorcars, who completely moved their dealership’s website from www.STLMotorcars.com to Stl.Cars. This was done during November 2015. By studying everything from the search engine rankings to the number of visitors on the website, we can determine whether or not a move from a .COM domain name to a .Cars domain name is recommended.

Overall, the percentage of new sessions is up 7.51 percent over the previous domain name, StlMotorcars.com. After the St. Louis Motorcars moved their website from StlMotorcars.com to Stl.Cars, the site’s Social Media and Referral traffic went up."

550width-google-traffic-compare-nov3-2015to-feb3-2016-vs-previous.jpg

7.51% increase in new sessions?

Looking at the chart...

1. The dealer website gets very little traffic, just over 100 sessions a day on average.
2. The Orange line represents sessions prior to the domain change. I see the Orange line having a higher amount of sessions on average within the reported time frame, with the Blue line taking a huge dip right after the domain change. It's not until Jan 2016 that the sessions start to normalize (with an abnormal spike in sessions towards the later portion of Jan.)

"The referral traffic went up 33.67 percent, and the traffic from Social Media websites went up 20.09 percent."

With traffic this low, an increase of 2-3 sessions more a day in referral traffic or traffic from Social Media could account for a 33% increase.

I embarrassed enough already for who ever put this study together, then they go and add this... "Another noteworthy point is that the conversions from organic search went up slightly when the site moved from StlMotorcars.com to Stl.Cars."

with a note at the end that reads:

Please note: Globe Runner was compensated for their time to review the data collected and produce a report on the findings. In no way did this have an effect on the outcome of the study or Globe Runner’s opinions about the results.

:thinker:

Reactions: Alexander Lau
I know how to use google also... https://ceo.xyz/rank-in-google/

Like I said its all debatable. And pointing to an article written 8 months ago doesn't really shed a ton of light on the issue. Even more so when @Ed Brooks just posted one composed just this month that shows different results.

We all know the tech world changes, and changes fast. The new extensions is something we all should be aware of and monitor or even test (if there is room in the budgets) to see the actual results.

But that is just my opinion. Right, wrong or indifferent.

Reactions: ed.brooks
Interesting little find @Ed Brooks but not one I would place much weight on. The title alone reads like one from the pages of TMV. Could they possibly stuff the article with the phrase .CARS domain anymore than what they have?

I doubt a high end luxury dealer selling Lambos, Bently, Lotus, Rolls, Bugatti and Aston Martin is hardly the best dealer website for a case study.

"Globe Runner chose to look in-depth at St. Louis Motorcars, who completely moved their dealership’s website from www.STLMotorcars.com to Stl.Cars. This was done during November 2015. By studying everything from the search engine rankings to the number of visitors on the website, we can determine whether or not a move from a .COM domain name to a .Cars domain name is recommended.

Overall, the percentage of new sessions is up 7.51 percent over the previous domain name, StlMotorcars.com. After the St. Louis Motorcars moved their website from StlMotorcars.com to Stl.Cars, the site’s Social Media and Referral traffic went up."

View attachment 2791

7.51% increase in new sessions?

Looking at the chart...

1. The dealer website gets very little traffic, just over 100 sessions a day on average.
2. The Orange line represents sessions prior to the domain change. I see the Orange line having a higher amount of sessions on average within the reported time frame, with the Blue line taking a huge dip right after the domain change. It's not until Jan 2016 that the sessions start to normalize (with an abnormal spike in sessions towards the later portion of Jan.)

"The referral traffic went up 33.67 percent, and the traffic from Social Media websites went up 20.09 percent."

With traffic this low, an increase of 2-3 sessions more a day in referral traffic or traffic from Social Media could account for a 33% increase.

I embarrassed enough already for who ever put this study together, then they go and add this... "Another noteworthy point is that the conversions from organic search went up slightly when the site moved from StlMotorcars.com to Stl.Cars."

with a note at the end that reads:

Please note: Globe Runner was compensated for their time to review the data collected and produce a report on the findings. In no way did this have an effect on the outcome of the study or Globe Runner’s opinions about the results.

:thinker:
I agree that this study should be taken with a huge grain of salt @Jeff Kershner. I do take some issue with @Alexander Lau's focus on SEO (at least a little bit); the dealership featured in the study had a URL that wasn't easy to remember, StlMotorcars.com, and they switched to much shorter, much easier to remember URL, Stl.Cars. I don't don't think the main benefit, in this case, is to the dealership's SEO - it's to their overall marketing.

Great points. Let's not forget that TLD's - also known as Domain Extensions are not only about SEO. Example: Branding is a key initiative for any Dealer. Conquest Print is still being used in dealer marketing. What would you remember on a conquest mailer that came to you ABCMOTORSCITY.COM/yourname (Using Personal URL "Purl's" technology) or ABC.CAR/yourname?

I would think Honda.Auto is much more innovative, matching, understandable than Honda.Com I have a feeling when my 3year old daughter is 10 she will say "Dad what were .Com's used for" As she buys the latest Converse on the Converse.Shoes website.

.Com stands for 'COMMERCIAL' Converse.Com? Why? Converse.Shoes, make sense. Right?

Forget the SEO aspect as the ONLY factor in TLD's. It's one piece of the pie. The memorable business cards, the weight as a focused meaning, strength as an industry leader.

Do you want a .Net or a .Com? Most would say .Com! It only makes sense that .Auto .Car and .Cars will be the leaders over .Com - Just as .Com is a leader over .Net

Major testing is being completed as we speak. Here is a look at some recent testing that proves positive gain for .Auto .Car and .Cars:

https://globerunner.com/stl-cars-case-study/

Great feed guys, all smart thought out posts from people who give a damn about the success of Dealer Marketing. Love it.

Reactions: Alexander Lau
LOL I just made the point again Alex haha as I didn't "Refresh" before posting.... No pun intended.
Ahhhhhhhhhhh... no worries man. We know each other from outside of this site. AutomotiveDigitalMarketing.com and DrivingSales.com and many digital conferences. Digital Dealers, 20 Groups and NADA (which I will not be this year).

Last edited:
Interesting study!

A Car Dealership Moved to a .CARS Domain. You Won’t Believe What Happened Next

"Based on our thorough review of the keyword rankings, third party data, Google Analytics data, and Google Search Console data, we have concluded that the site did not suffer anything as a result of the move. We have observed direct evidence that the site’s overall search engine rankings have gone up. The website’s overall traffic is trending upwards since the website was moved from StlMotorcars.com to Stl.Cars. Globe Runner can independently verify that the move from STLMotorcars.com to STL.CARS was beneficial for St. Louis Motorcars as far as organic search traffic is concerned."
Did The Move Help Organic Search Engine Rankings?
Here's the problem with that study, they do not disclose what other SEO variables might have been updated or changed and there are plenty.
http://backlinko.com/google-ranking-factors.

I call total BS on the metrics below.

How many other factors (traditional or digital marketing wise) could have caused this increase, if the increase is even legit? It was not the switch to a new TLD. It the switch to the new TLD along with the ADDITIONAL marketing processes around it (again, if this is real).

"Hey, look everybody. Look at what happened when we SWITCHED our domain name! Ohhhhh... we didn't disclose the fact that we ran radio, TV, newspaper and direct marketing ads and additional PR stunts (with STL.cars) which would obviously increase our organic direct traffic numbers. We didn't care to track it, uniquely. No, we failed to let you know of that part... sorry guys. Move along like good lemmings, thanks!"
XRt2D97.jpg

Last edited:
Alexander, I researched and wrote the stl.cars study.

As far as other SEO variables go, I am not aware of any. The site was moved to a new domain. They did everything right. I tried to be as transparent as possible by presenting GOogle analytics data and data from other sources.

If you have any other specific questions I would be happy to answer them.

Feel free to look at semrush.com or majestic.com for other data, as well.

If anyone would like to see more data like referral sources or anything like that get in touch me. I will be happy to provide any data that is possible to provide.

With this study we have nothing to hide, and I do take offense at the fact that you would suggest that we are trying to hide something by not releasing certain data.