• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Top 30 vehicles with shortest days on market

Troy,

No, it only shows on what current vehicles you have on your lot or what vehicles you are appraising. However they are clearly getting this data from somewhere? Maybe someone at DealerSocket and tell you were they are populating their data for "TrueTarget"?
Didn't Dealersocket buy dealertrack and I think dealer track got their data from Autotrader? Any one here know if that is the case?

Rob do you use Carstory's ranking report on vehicles that shows best to worst vehicles based on consumer search volume? I like their market report that ranks vehicles by make and model and would like to see the same type of report but ranking also vehicles on shortest to longest days on market with last posted price and perhaps inventory levels to compare with Carstory's consumer search volume rankings. Other companies have consumer search volume as well but I have only seen Carstory put out a ranking report like this and thought there report was very insightful.

Didn't Dealersocket buy dealertrack and I think dealer track got their data from Autotrader? Any one here know if that is the case?

Rob do you use Carstory's ranking report on vehicles that shows best to worst vehicles based on consumer search volume? I like their market report that ranks vehicles by make and model and would like to see the same type of report but ranking also vehicles on shortest to longest days on market with last posted price and perhaps inventory levels to compare with Carstory's consumer search volume rankings. Other companies have consumer search volume as well but I have only seen Carstory put out a ranking report like this and thought there report was very insightful.
Dealertrack is owned by Cox (bought last year at this time, I do believe); DealerSocket doesn't own Dealertrack. As far as data from Autotrader, potentially, as they've struck deals in the past, but I truly do not know. Ex: http://www.autonews.com/article/201...rtrack-partner-to-place-indirect-loans-online

vAuto would be the best to have this data, but I doubt they've made it accessible yet.
I imagine JD Power also has the data, but again not sure if they have it in a rolling data format.

I think this could be gamed out of vAuto, but I doubt they'll have it ready to handover already.
That said, I think it's a great idea. I'll be putting this on a post it note on my desk for sure.

As far as I know, that is correct. It used to be called eCarlist, than DealerSocket bought them, than DealerTrack bought DealerSocket. I believe you are spot on here Troy.

I have not had any use as of this point with CarStorys product. At the dealership I was at before I always just checked NADA and the MMR. I felt the MMR gave some of the 'truest' values at the time. Or at least what I could buy a similar car for at auction. When I came to Rasmussen Ford is when I found TrueTarget. In DealerSocket's most recent update they really upped their game with TrueTarget and I find it pretty simple to use and to be an over all useful tool when appraising vehicles or setting new prices on used.

Thanks for the kind words Troy. I've asked the guys in the lab coats to see if this is data we would make available for release. Yes, they really do wear white lab coats. Our data scientists are legit white coat wearing scientists. ;)

Reactions: craigh
Since you list your job as being a Big Data Aggragator, (please note @Stauning, you'll be amused) and are a vendor, I assume Vast, Autotrader (Cox), or Cars.com may be willing to sell you this sort of data - - for the right price.

If you're a Cars.com customer, ask your Rep for the info. The new reporting includes "lot sitters" and "fast movers". For free...

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob McCartney
I'd ask them, they might not be transparent just with their website marketing spiel.

I see, so IHS and / or Dataium might actually have this info. Contact them and ask. :)
they should have some online the info to make a report like this
Thanks for the kind words Troy. I've asked the guys in the lab coats to see if this is data we would make available for release. Yes, they really do wear white lab coats. Our data scientists are legit white coat wearing scientists. ;)
Thanks Ryan. I look forward to hearing back on what you find out on adding that to the Carstory reports. I saw their report first here on DR but just went to the Carstory site just now to see how much for the report. Looks like it is free to dealers?

Since you list your job as being a Big Data Aggragator, (please note @Stauning) and are a vendor, I assume Vast, Autotrader (Cox), or Cars.com may be willing to sell you this sort of data - - for the right price.

If you're a Cars.com customer, ask your Rep for the info. The new reporting includes "lot sitters" and "fast movers". For free...
Thanks Ed. I was not aware of the free reports you mentioned from Cars.com. Can a car dealer find them on the Cars.com site like Carstory and use it free with out a paid subscription? I think that is what Carstory is doing as I was just on their site however couldn't check out the OSV free reports as I am in Costa Rica currently and my ISP address is out of the Country and their system flags it only for the U.S car dealers.