• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Is Google launching a true attribution tool?

ed.brooks

Boss
Jan 15, 2010
Awards
First Name
Ed
Yesterday, my twitter feed blew up with the news of the newly announced Google Attribution tool. Finally - we may be able to end Last Click Attribution!

Then, as I started to learn more, this seemed more like a PPC Justification Tool. It seems that is designed to put the fat thumb of Google on the scales to drive more revenue to the behemoth. From a Forbes article, "Naturally, Google said this works best when used with other Google ad tools such as AdWords and DoubleClick Search. It wasn’t clear to what extent Attribution can track or use data with other tools."

I hope Google is looking to really help advertisers gain insight into what advertising influences consumers - I fear this may be a con job to extract more AdWords revenue.

Reactions: Alexander Lau
It's unclear what the Google Attribution product will contain. I haven't seen any indication that it will let data flow into GA at all, it is more focused on AW + DCM. There may not be any GA component at all.

It certainly won't contain anything like a Custom Channel Grouping mechanism or the ability to see offsite conversions or views, Until I get full access, I really can't give any sort of point-by-point comparison.

I don't have a good feeling about how dealers will look at the Google Attribution product vs. other products. Even though they are not really similar at all, at the very high level (to the people making the buying decisions) it will seem duplicative.
Duplicative or perhaps, simply, duplicitous. One of those.

Yesterday, my twitter feed blew up with the news of the newly announced Google Attribution tool. Finally - we may be able to end Last Click Attribution!

Then, as I started to learn more, this seemed more like a PPC Justification Tool. It seems that is designed to put the fat thumb of Google on the scales to drive more revenue to the behemoth. From a Forbes article, "Naturally, Google said this works best when used with other Google ad tools such as AdWords and DoubleClick Search. It wasn’t clear to what extent Attribution can track or use data with other tools."

I hope Google is looking to really help advertisers gain insight into what advertising influences consumers - I fear this may be a con job to extract more AdWords revenue.
Yes, I believe it to be a ploy as well.

Here are my takeaways from the Google keynote yesterday: 1. Attribution: last click is fake and Google knows it. But, Google has credit card company info (capturing 70% of credit card transactions) plus machine learning to determine life style changes and they read Gmail. Stat: 30% of people use 5 or more devices. It's in beta but will launch free to small and medium-sized business this year. 2. AMP is accelerated mobile pages. You can sign up for the beta here: https://www.ampproject.org if you want your mobile pages to load fast. See my image to see the AMP lightning bolt icon 3. Dealers will be able to buy "voice search" which is only 20% of searches now but that will change. For the time being make sure your Google My Business info is correct. Develop questions around where, who, when and how. 4. In-Market Search, which I think this is the most important announcement, allows dealers to buy in-market ready-to-buy shoppers (I think Facebook is giving Google a run for the money here) for paid search (it's been available for display for years). No ETA for launch. I say early bird for this product will benefit. Expect higher bid rates though. 4. YouTube. Google's retargeting expands to YouTube so now consumers don't have to go to your site to be retargeted. Plus YouTube ads will have extensions.

Attachments

• amp icon.jpg
    amp icon.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 0
Actually, this is a stellar reply from the CEO of Clarivoy. Very well thought out...

img-magician_orig.png

Don’t Be Fooled: New Google Attribution Announcement is NOT a Silver Bullet
https://www.clarivoy.com/blog/dont-...tribution-announcement-is-not-a-silver-bullet
When dealers step back and realize that Google is just another vendor trying to sell them stuff - it's an eye-opening experience!