• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Facebook Live - Who's using? Tips and Tricks

Apr 22, 2009
Awards
First Name
Ryan
Hey everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted anything on the forums but I've definitely been lurking around!

I'm having some success (and fun) with Facebook video ads. We haven't really dabbled too much with FB Live, but it's on my to-do list.

I was thinking of doing a monthly FB Live where I sit at my desk and walkthrough the months latest and greatest incentives (no more than a few minutes).

Something that happens every month and our followers think of us as the authority for our manufacturer.

What have you tried or have been thinking about?

It's not a bad idea Ryan, I'm just not sure there will be enough audience. Given the fact most dealers have between 1.000 - 6.0000 fans & followers, I don't think there will be much people watching - Facebook Live is a nice tool, but it makes sense to use mostly for pages/people with a lot of fans. Of course you can at least try it.

But what about YouTube videos instead? They will be permanently on YouTube and easy to search for (unlike Facebook live)

Great idea, Ryan; though I recommend you do this on your personal page, so the exposure will be better. Also, those who are showing success with Real Social Selling are doing so via their personal, not business pages. I just did a 49-minute live stream showing these best practices, etc. that you are free to watch and share:

@Ryan Thompson I love the idea and it surely won't hurt to try it out. We've been doing some Facebook live casts here at DealerRefresh every other Friday in the response so far has been pretty great. You need to start somewhere.

I'd also love to see you update your original thread around coming back to the car dealership world. I too need to update my thread ;-)

@Ryan Thompson I love the idea and Shirley won't hurt to try it out. We've been doing some Facebook live casts here at DealerRefresh every other Friday in the response so far has been pretty great. You need to start somewhere.

I'd also love to see you update your original thread around coming back to the car dealership world. I too need to update my thread ;-)
You're slowly shaming me into it Jeff.

By the way, one of the reasons you don't hear from ANY of the social media management companies about Facebook Live and Real Social Selling is that there is no money in it for them. When your team can start doing Real Social Selling (by especially using Facebook Live properly), you'll wonder why you ever wasted a dime on a third party posting kitten pictures on your Facebook page.

Reactions: AdamMurray
Facebook Live is great but there are things to keep in mind:

- only go live when you have something important to say. Think about it from the perspective of a news station. You are going live with "breaking news", or at least something worth sharing. Nobody wants a tour of the lot - people want something fun and human that builds a relationship with the dealership
- your live video will only go to people that have liked the page. So you can run cold traffic through a contest and go live on the contest by sending an email to everyone when you go live (or something along these lines), or you can run Facebook ads to increase likes (probably not the best idea though)
- in your follow-up email after a sale, encourage them to like your page and follow for future fun activities
- get someone to share it on your own personal social media AS you are live

Probably some other things to keep in mind too... definitely a valuable tool that can kill with extra sales and test drives

I keep speaking with my GM about trying our hand at FB Live, but he's hesitant. He's not a FB user himself. He also doesn't want to be in front of the camera and I'm having a tough time getting the sales team interested either. Any advice on how to convince him to let me set up a FB Live campaign program and how to get the sales reps on board?