• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Will the transition to Digital Retailing be difficult?

Great post Ed! Most of us are here on Jeff's site because we get that the customer controls the mouse today. Today, Dealer's have to get that. The mouse trap is being built for the entire Digital Retail experience to happen. The transition has evolved and is evolving as we speak. Dealer's have to prepare today to stay in that competitive market place, now more than ever. @Debvorah Wolf, great point on streamlining the online and offline in store experience, that is hardest transition that dealers need to deal with today to engage today's online shopper. Because every shopper today is an online shopper.

Reactions: ed.brooks
Great post Ed! Most of us are here on Jeff's site because we get that the customer controls the mouse today. Today, Dealer's have to get that. The mouse trap is being built for the entire Digital Retail experience to happen. The transition has evolved and is evolving as we speak. Dealer's have to prepare today to stay in that competitive market place, now more than ever. @Debvorah Wolf, great point on streamlining the online and offline in store experience, that is hardest transition that dealers need to deal with today to engage today's online shopper. Because every shopper today is an online shopper.
I disagree, not "every shopper is an online shopper." Most shoppers are R.O.B.O. = Research Online; Buy Offline @JoePistell. If you mean that most shoppers research online before buying, then yes. Eventually, we might see a majority buying online, but that's many years down the line, IMO.

:)

Last edited:
I rather like watching the bedding biz and how a totally new product (foam mattresses) has blown up the retail only model. 3 yrs ago I bought my 1st bed mattress online. I've bought another since.

A significant catalyst is needed to make buying online a good option (vs buying offline). Hanging a shopping cart on an existing mattress store was not the catalyst, it was a totally new product. Automotive retail will evolve slowly until something new and radical comes along.

Reactions: ed.brooks
I disagree, not "every shopper is an online shopper." Most shoppers are R.O.B.O. = Research Online; Buy Offline @JoePistell. If you mean that most shoppers research online before buying, then yes. Eventually, we might see a majority buying online, but that's many years down the line, IMO.

:)
@Alexander Lau - I believe that almost every (never say 'every') shopper today is an online shopper. Far less shopping occurs on the showroom today than 15 years ago. However buying is still done primarily at the dealership on the showroom floor.
The change to shopping process has happened over the past 15 years or so. The change to the buying process is just starting...

Reactions: Devorah Wolf