• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Overstock.com

ra6209

Full Sticker
Jan 12, 2012
Awards
First Name
Pete
Overstock.com is entering the third party listings game, but they are looking to sell financing and service contracts to customers that come to the site. Does anyone think Overstock.com can pull a CarGurus and grow to a decent size?

What have been dealers' experience in talking with Overstock.com about putting inventory there?

From what I see there isn't much inventory there and what is there appears to be pulled from other sources. It doesn't look like much an effort to truly immerse themselves in the process because most of the services are simply forwards to other websites. They said you could communicate with dealers but the dealers I pulled up only showed a phone number. There is a payment and financing calculator there but that's 10-year-old technology. When you do go to the financing providers website I got two options both from the same bank (Lightstream). Lightstream is great but for most of the country that doesn't have a 750 credit score you are not going to be approved and when you are denied they will probably transfer you again to another lender to apply all over again.

If they are serious, they have a long way to go.

Overstock.com is entering the third party listings game, but they are looking to sell financing and service contracts to customers that come to the site. Does anyone think Overstock.com can pull a CarGurus and grow to a decent size?

What have been dealers' experience in talking with Overstock.com about putting inventory there?

I believe they tried this once before, years ago. It was a complete flop. Maybe they have some new ammunition this time around.

Reactions: Alexander Lau
I don't think anyone car pull a Cargurus any time soon, that was a smart deployment of SEO that took advantage to Google's shortcoming. A lot of brains behind that.

The questions is; is Obverstock.com trying to find venues to survive or is this part of a well planned expansion?

Do you guys use Overstock at all to buy stuff (I don't but that doesn't mean anything).

Do you guys use Overstock at all to buy stuff (I don't but that doesn't mean anything).

I don't, but I have various friends and family that do.
The brand "overstock" to them means "they had too much product so I'm getting it for cheaper" and that has gone a long ways for them.
Not sure if it will work on cars...

Reactions: Alexander Lau