• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

CarGuru's 100% Rate Increase!! 2nd time in 2 years

CarGurus waited until the day of our contract end date (which I didn't even know we had) to let me know that we needed to renew immediately at the huge rate increase or we would be deactivated. Needless to say it took a week or so to negotiate a fair renewal rate so our inventory was removed from CarGurus and who knows how much business was lost as a result. Was not overly pleased.

CarGurus waited until the day of our contract end date (which I didn't even know we had) to let me know that we needed to renew immediately at the huge rate increase or we would be deactivated. Needless to say it took a week or so to negotiate a fair renewal rate so our inventory was removed from CarGurus and who knows how much business was lost as a result. Was not overly pleased.

I never had any issues until I got their foot in the door for our dealer group with a promo deal. But in order for the dealers to continue, the rep was to get with the dealers (main contacts provided) and have them sign up past the promotion. Yeah, that didn't happen. Instead they allowed it to ride - not one contact from the rep until I reached out and asked what was going on since they sent ME a bill for the whole group. I had bite down and pay the full bill for the whole group. It really pi$$ed me off. Lesson learnt.

I never had any issues until I got their foot in the door for our dealer group with a promo deal. But in order for the dealers to continue, the rep was to get with the dealers (main contacts provided) and have them sign up past the promotion. Yeah, that didn't happen. Instead they allowed it to ride - not one contact from the rep until I reached out and asked what was going on since they sent ME a bill for the whole group. I had bite down and pay the full bill for the whole group. It really pi$$ed me off. Lesson learnt.

Jeff, it seems we have a similar but different problem with CG. We're an independent with about 50 cars on the ground, but we're a certified CPO dealer. I asked my hard working, oops, hardly working rep at CG how we get our cars listed as certified? The simple answer.......crickets. This isn't the first time of getting no answer or the worst answer a rep can give anyone. We had one month with really low leads from CG, but the rest of our marketing was tracking normal. I asked my rep if there was anything we could do, his answer......lower your prices. What insight, what marketing genius, why didn't I think of that. I cancelled CG a couple months ago, and yes, we did see a dip in sales, so I'm reconsidering them. Their ownership must focus on their IT people, because their customer service reps are terrible.

Not trying to high jack the thread, thanks for posting about loading videos on the GMB page. I loaded a video of our programmable sign onto our Facebook page and would like to hear some feedback if anyone has a chance. Just loaded the same video onto GMB. I was my first night flight with my drone. Thanks, Murray

Last edited:
@Murray

That is a great point “Their ownership must focus on their IT people, because their customer service reps are terrible.”

There is only so much money to go around, so you want more to go into better SEO (so more traffic and therefore more leads for you) or a good looking-well spoken salesperson with a small territory that can stop see you every time you twitch because you had a slow month?

@Murray

That is a great point “Their ownership must focus on their IT people, because their customer service reps are terrible.”

There is only so much money to go around, so you want more to go into better SEO (so more traffic and therefore more leads for you) or a good looking-well spoken salesperson with a small territory that can stop see you every time you twitch because you had a slow month?

Yagoparamo, Interesting point you have. My expectation for a service that I pay for isn't so much for the good lookin part as we're in Colorado and CG is in MA, and have never seen anyone from CG. But when I ask a question (or "twitch) of someone who is supposed to be there to service my account (a.k.a my twitches) and they don't return calls, that's a problem. You think many dealer/principals or GM's on here would sit by and let their sales people blow off customers as part of their sales strategy?

Yagoparamo, Interesting point you have. My expectation for a service that I pay for isn't so much for the good lookin part as we're in Colorado and CG is in MA, and have never seen anyone from CG. But when I ask a question (or "twitch) of someone who is supposed to be there to service my account (a.k.a my twitches) and they don't return calls, that's a problem. You think many dealer/principals or GM's on here would sit by and let their sales people blow off customers as part of their sales strategy?

I was speaking more of a general base, I don't know why they didn't return your particular call as it seems to easy to lose an account for such a simple task.