• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Facebook Inventory Advertising / Retargeting

@mwpistell Man... I hate RegEx!! Really powerful but man, they're a pain in the rear sometimes!! LOL

@Emilie Benn Most website providers isn't going to do that for you! Let me change that. They probably have a tool of some sorts you can subscribe to for a fee to manage your Facebook campaigns. They won't do it out of the goodness of their heart though :) That's where your going to have to get creative and work around this roadblock. I'll take a look at your site in a few. I'm a little covered up right now. Keep in mind, even if you get the product catalog structured correctly, when a visitor lands on a VDP, you need JS on the page to trigger, to be able to extract the Vin off the page and pass that Vin back to Facebook so that Facebook knows what vehicle they looked at so you can retarget that person with that specific vehicle and others like it! What happens if they submit a lead on your site while on it??? Do you what to retarget them as well?? What happens if they submit a lead and come in a couple days later and buy the car??? Are we still retargeting them on Facebook as well??? These are things you need to keep in mind. These are some of those triggers that @umer.autojini touched on. Do you have any experience with JS? Also, who do you use for inventory syndication??

if you know bit of programming... and say you can get the vendor to add Google Tag Manager... you can may be able get this done... Use GTM to fire off the triggers... you need find the pattern... (VDP URL has a pattern, the lead submit success page has a URL or a pattern or a div that is only on that page etc) GTM will take care of your triggers and you use something like this... https://github.com/rchipka/node-osmosis to scrap the site and VDP URL. Beats out Regex... as you can select based on elements. And be ready to re-do this exercise once the layout changes...

So I was thinking to use a scrapper to build out the catalogue. The "event" pixels from facebook need to be added on VDP so it will trigger that the VIN was looked at. I can also paste the "lead" pixel from facebook on the Thank you for submitting a lead page so Facebook knows that a lead was submitted on that VIN.

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can ...

Thank you all for responding.

@mwpistell Man... I hate RegEx!! Really powerful but man, they're a pain in the rear sometimes!! LOL

@Emilie Benn Most website providers isn't going to do that for you! Let me change that. They probably have a tool of some sorts you can subscribe to for a fee to manage your Facebook campaigns. They won't do it out of the goodness of their heart though :) That's where your going to have to get creative and work around this roadblock. I'll take a look at your site in a few. I'm a little covered up right now. Keep in mind, even if you get the product catalog structured correctly, when a visitor lands on a VDP, you need JS on the page to trigger, to be able to extract the Vin off the page and pass that Vin back to Facebook so that Facebook knows what vehicle they looked at so you can retarget that person with that specific vehicle and others like it! What happens if they submit a lead on your site while on it??? Do you what to retarget them as well?? What happens if they submit a lead and come in a couple days later and buy the car??? Are we still retargeting them on Facebook as well??? These are things you need to keep in mind. These are some of those triggers that @umer.autojini touched on. Do you have any experience with JS? Also, who do you use for inventory syndication??
They're not that bad, once you get used to them and the syntax. ;-)

There are multiple ways to run retargeting ads through Facebook utilizing data from your website traffic and then serving inventory product based ads from your catalog feed based on the user's interest (like carousel ads, collections, etc.).

It takes about 10 minutes to set-up and think it should be something that is standard and provided to dealers as a value add and not a product set. Same goes with pushing Facebook leads directly into a CRM. Technology is a commodity and the product is only as good as the people behind it. Dealers need to surround themselves with vendors (i dislike that word), scratch that, dealers need to surround themselves with partners that take their interests and make it their own.

We built are own analytics platform that can push all of this data in and recommend using your inventory feed as your syndication into Facebook as well as Google.

Dynamic-Inventory-Retargeting-example-1-Ed-Martin-Nissan.png

If you're looking to take advantage of using dynamic retargeting on your inventory and the collections feature of Facebook ads.We offer feed conversion for any website provider (Yes, we even do CDK) for $49 a month. We have 117 stores enjoying this platform and we'll even help you setup your product catalogs as well. Inquires can call at 317-457-3464 or https://dealermartech.com/49-monthly-dynamic-retargeting-access

Last edited:
You need to fire off the viewContent event. Where content_ids on SRP is an array of all the stock numbers and on VDP it just the stock id. (Assuming stock ids is your id for the item in catalog)

https://developers.facebook.com/docs/facebook-pixel/api-reference#events

The pixel api will also read microdata from Schema.org or OpenGraph.

Manual event route.
#VDP
try {
fbq('track', 'ViewContent', {
content_name: '2011 Buick LaCrosse CXS',
content_category: 'Vehicles & Parts > Vehicles > Motor Vehicles',
content_ids: ['4681041'],
content_type: 'product'
});
} catch(e) {
console.log(e);
}

#SRP
try {
content_ids: ['4681041','4681042','4681121'],
});
} catch(e) {
console.log(e);
}

For debugging.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...helper/fdgfkebogiimcoedlicjlajpkdmockpc?hl=en

• Useful
Reactions: Alexander Lau
You need to fire off the viewContent event. Where content_ids on SRP is an array of all the stock numbers and on VDP it just the stock id. (Assuming stock ids is your id for the item in catalog)

https://developers.facebook.com/docs/facebook-pixel/api-reference#events

The pixel api will also read microdata from Schema.org or OpenGraph.

Manual event route.
#VDP
try {
content_name: '2011 Buick LaCrosse CXS',
content_category: 'Vehicles & Parts > Vehicles > Motor Vehicles',
content_ids: ['4681041'],
});
} catch(e) {
console.log(e);
}

#SRP
try {
content_ids: ['4681041','4681042','4681121'],
});
} catch(e) {
console.log(e);
}

For debugging.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...helper/fdgfkebogiimcoedlicjlajpkdmockpc?hl=en

The stock ids are the catalog ids. I'm guessing if the stock number is in the schema.org microdata, then Facebook would be able to pull that number from each individual VDP page? I noticed you put a number in the content_ids in the manual event route, would that have to been add individually for each vdp or is there a way to have it fill automatically depending on the page and product? Is it the same for the SRP page? Thanks for you help so far.