• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What do you guys think of everything that's happening with Facebook?

Facebook has always been more effective due to their ads taking the form of content in a place where folks are engaging with content (not a banner off in the corner). Facebook will maintain this edge. Their internal data segments have generally produced better results for us than 3rd party data segments anyways.

I am far less confident that they'll figure this one out that easily.
The public perception of Facebook has changed. When people see ads they're going to remember all the stories they saw on the news about how Facebook sold their identity to advertisers.

I recommend everyone download their Facebook export from the site using the official tool.
What's in there is often staggering.

I am far less confident that they'll figure this one out that easily.
The public perception of Facebook has changed. When people see ads they're going to remember all the stories they saw on the news about how Facebook sold their identity to advertisers.

I recommend everyone download their Facebook export from the site using the official tool.
What's in there is often staggering.

I wasn't really blown away at all, apart from some messages between myself and an ex that I wouldn't want going public...

I wasn't really blown away at all, apart from some messages between myself and an ex that I wouldn't want going public...

What surprised me most was:
  • how inaccurate much of the profiling/advertiser data was
  • how they record every sticker and message ever sent
  • how the fake contact information I entered once was shared

• Useful
Reactions: Alexander Lau
dumpster_fire.gif

when half the US population thinks you're a lying sob....buh bye...thanks for playing.

I think it's a major turning point - not because of the scandal but because I think many people were looking for a reason to "quit" Facebook. I think Facebook is still a great place to advertise for autos, though. I left FB for Instagram and I'd bet many other people will too.

I basically no longer trust anything I read online (news), because of facebook. I question all of it anymore.

I'm the same...but...I'm happy about it. Here's what I mean. Long before the "fake news" stuff was actually exposed, I realized it was happening and it made me a better researcher (and debater and voter). It got me in the habit of researching everything before I re-shared, eventually even reading multiple articles on every topic that interested me. I think I used to do that, once upon a time, but had gotten complacent. I think I'm more "woke" (isn't that what the kids are saying?) as a result.