• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What in the Heck is Going On With my Dealer.com sites in Google SRP's?????

Some/many of my favorite sites and themes are WordPress. No question there. The dilemma is that WordPress is one of the most targeted platforms in the world for this reason. When an exploit is found by the wrong people, it can be devastating. The thing many don’t realize is that themes and plugins aren’t updated like the core is. Countless themeforest themes still contain a totally vulnerable version of timthumb that allows you to run arbitrary php code on the host server. It’s a wild world that I love/hate.

Custom development on top of it, like DI, is considerably safer, but users can still open vulnerabilities.
Definitely, there's no doubt about it. It's totally vulnerable.

https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-2337/product_id-4096/
https://wpvulndb.com/

I suppose some of the dedicated hosts out there, claim to stop attacks, but...

There are ways to safeguard yourself.
- store sensitive data elsewhere, NEVER store customer data in the WordPress database that your plugins have access to
- move wp-admin and prohibit access to certain files
- disable all remote access functionality and cross posting
- disable updates
- disable all write functions on directories that aren’t /uploads
Etc

But again, all it takes is 1 user to add their favorite SEO plugin or database backup utility and you’re toast.

• Useful
Reactions: Alexander Lau
There are ways to safeguard yourself.
- store sensitive data elsewhere, NEVER store customer data in the WordPress database that your plugins have access to
- move wp-admin and prohibit access to certain files
- disable all remote access functionality and cross posting
- disable updates
- disable all write functions on directories that aren’t /uploads
Etc

But again, all it takes is 1 user to add their favorite SEO plugin or database backup utility and you’re toast.
Yeah, plugins are usually the biggest culprit. Once upon a time, when I was a total WP freak, I was going to try to create a forum / portal for incompatibilities. Themes against plugins and vice versa, etc. I really don't think that exists today (properly). Somehow, I think that would be wildly popular and VCs would throw money at it.

I just heard an insider rumor that they're still struggling to figure it out, and they're still claiming this is not an isolated Dealer.com issue. Although zero examples of it happening on other platforms have been provided here.

I just heard an insider rumor that they're still struggling to figure it out, and they're still claiming this is not an isolated Dealer.com issue. Although zero examples of it happening on other platforms have been provided here.
Makes sense to me, sounds like a BIG FAT LIE and their platform is flawed, unable to keep up with Google's demands and their dB mangement sucks. I'm a firm believer that when you get that big, you are unable to scale a model. This is probably what is happening to DDC and again, where are the DDC reps that were in this thread. How pathetic, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: ejyoder
giphy.gif