• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Any of you guys completely moved away from Cable TV to strictly Internet TV??

@AWNick

Not really sure what I missed. The topic does say "move away from Cable to Internet TV" which on its own is a bit ambiguous.

Data shows people are moving off of Cable in mass. Q3 2017 showed 500,000 subscribers ditched Cable, 18-25 yr old's stated they use YouTube more than Facebook. YouTube is the #2 Search Engine. I took the conversation as being related to automotive advertising since this forum is automotive centered, hence my input.

IPTV (Amazon, YouTube, Hulu, Crackle, etc.) is content that is streamed over an IP network. We once had Terrestrial, but that all went digital and then emerged the Cable companies which had stations running around purchasing bundled programming (one show for 12 months with 12 runs per show; which is why you see re-runs constantly). IPTV came out back in 2000 and all of us in the media business (which I was from 1999-2004) scrambled to understand who had the rights to IP distribution.

With all this said, cable is dead. They have no content (outside of live sports (Dodgers with Spectrum, etc.), the stations themselves are not loyal to any cable provider and don't care who and from what their content is viewed from (in reality they are probably happier since they get a bigger chunk of the revenue (everyone was up in arms with the % of revenue ESPN is or was getting from cable subscriptions).

Is there really a debate on Cable being dead - Haven't had cable in over 5 years (Netflix & Amazon Prime (Youtube)).

Last edited:
I don't have cable at my place. I use Netflix (via my friend), Disney Plus (free year through Verizon), Fox Sports Go (for the MN Twins), and HBO (again through my friend). So, yeah, I mooch, but I share too ;-)

Anyway, I'm completely content with what I have. Cable is still useful, but it's just so much more expensive and finding bundles that have what you want is challenging.

Reactions: Brittany
From reading you guys post, most of you have tried KODI and completely moved away from it or it is a secondary or third alternative. In my particular situation, my Comcast bill at my house is just north of $300 monthly. This doesn't include Netflix or Hulu that we are paying for as well. Now, I do have an upgraded internet pkg that is like $80 of that. My though's are, with all the different applications and media online, I should be able to basically cut my bill in half and still have a ton of media options. Basically get rid of all the excess crap in this Comcast pkg that we don't watch, find an combination of apps and streaming services and zero in on the shows that are important to us. I went out this weekend and purchased a Chromecast. It's nice but, the whole thought of streaming from my phone kinda has me set back a little on the product. It works great if you don't mind including your cell phone into your ability to watch TV. Me personally, I'm already tied to my phone throughout the entire day. When I get home, I simply want to put the phone on the counter top and not look at it anymore, grab a remote and find my shows! I'll probably keep the Chromecast as an alternative but I won't use it as a primary means of watching TV. I have a Roku and a HD antenna somewhere that my wife bought a couple months back that I need to find and hook up. I'm seriously going to look into Plex as well.

Rick, someone dug this up and since we are both in Chi area you get the reply! Comcast just jacked me to $330/mo and I am ready to leave. Are you still off of Comcast? What's your setup? Kodi sucks as a family UX and I'd love to cut this bill too!