• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What would it take to make a BETTER LEAD?

joe.pistell

Uncle Joe
Apr 7, 2009
Awards
First Name
Joe
What if there was a way to auto-magically improve Leads?
For a moment, forget about HOW to do this and think of attributes that could be added to make the lead better for buyer and seller.

Attributes like:
  • Prior Customer?
  • Been on your site before?
  • Car shopping sites visited (all)
  • Models viewed
  • Total Time Spent Car Shopping
  • Soft credit pull
  • Household income
  • current vehicle payment
  • number of payments left on current vehicle
  • Social media profiles (Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter)
Take the technical limitations off... forget about HOW to do this. What info would you like to see on a lead?

Thoughts?

• :light:
Reactions: craigh
There are a few companies that are doing this, but most of them are doing it behind the scenes and just selling the results to other vendors.
Tapping into location data is (once again) the secret sauce here. They track your location from home to work to the dealership and then connect all of that information with other information from other providers (ie: American Express) to paint a picture of your viability as a customer.
They then sell this information (read: identity) as a lead.

They're missing the soft credit pull, but household income is fairly accurate.
They have credit card spending habits and some other critical financial data as well.

Thankfully, most of it doesn't work up here in Canada, so I just rock out with by VPN out and nobody is tracking my terrible spending habits and assuming I can afford a new car.

I’d want to see a profile based on user activity that suggests what the customer is interested in and what vehicles we have in stock that fit that profile, both new and used. Good better best and make it easy for sales reps to communicate with customers with good info.

Key indicators that a specific feature is important (colour, engine, # of passengers)

Time to purchase/current buying stage

Location/address

Type of personality/how they would like to be treated/their expectations

Just going along with the “what if” thinking instead of “yeah but”. :)

Browsing a dealership's website or searching on a classified website, a shopper reveals valuable information that can be easily translated into creating helpful and consultative approach to the sales process. By looking at searches, filters, and shopping tools that a shopper interacts with, one can learn:
- vehicle type and size
- budget
- must-have features
- competing makes that are being considered
- creditworthiness
- desired used car mileage
- willingness to travel out or market
- stage of the buying journey
- and so much more...
If every lead comes with a journey map that can be properly presented in CRM, it would open the door to curated and value-added service that a smart sales consultant can provide, ultimately resulting in a sale and a happy, educated customer.