• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

CarGurus Listing Cars 800 Miles Away Listed Above Mine.....

John V.

Boss
Jan 15, 2015
Awards
First Name
John
As you can see in the screenshot below, my CPO 2017 Accord Touring is all the way on results page #2 as the 20th listing. I set my range to 10 miles of my Zip Code.

Out of the 68 reported listings within my search criteria, only 24 are actually located in that 10 mile range, 6 are ours.

There are currently 14 listings ahead of me from Carvana or Vroom that are not even in my zip code. To add insult to injury, CarGurus defaults to “Best deals first” sorting yet the Carvana and Vroom inventory do not even have their “Fair Deal” savings amount listed.

Last year they tried to double my monthly fee, now they are listing inventory 829 miles away above mine. Whats next, trying to charge per VDP view?.......oh, wait.....

I understand everyone has to make money, and being a public company you have investors to answer to but damn. Seems pretty dirty to do when its the Dealer body inventory that is making you your money.....

CW WTF.png

John, we've had a few others in the community comment on something like this when it comes to Carvana. It seems as if one way or another they have been able to acquire more than 1 region code per rooftop. Maybe since they deliver to anywhere in the States they are getting away with this, but any dealership can deliver. It's truly not fair, whatever is going on here.

John, we've had a few others in the community comment on something like this when it comes to Carvana. It seems as if one way or another they have been able to acquire more than 1 region code per rooftop. Maybe since they deliver to anywhere in the States they are getting away with this, but any dealership can deliver. It's truly not fair, whatever is going on here.

Thanks Jeff - apologies if this is a duplicate to another thread.

No luck. They said they have been doing it for some time and that if we wanted to advertise in other peoples markets as well that we could. They also said that no one ever loses a local sale to caravan anyway and to not worry about it. Supposedly, these listing only appear when you do a specific model search in a small area.

Reactions: Alexander Lau
As you can see in the screenshot below, my CPO 2017 Accord Touring is all the way on results page #2 as the 20th listing. I set my range to 10 miles of my Zip Code.

Out of the 68 reported listings within my search criteria, only 24 are actually located in that 10 mile range, 6 are ours.

There are currently 14 listings ahead of me from Carvana or Vroom that are not even in my zip code. To add insult to injury, CarGurus defaults to “Best deals first” sorting yet the Carvana and Vroom inventory do not even have their “Fair Deal” savings amount listed.

Last year they tried to double my monthly fee, now they are listing inventory 829 miles away above mine. Whats next, trying to charge per VDP view?.......oh, wait.....

I understand everyone has to make money, and being a public company you have investors to answer to but damn. Seems pretty dirty to do when its the Dealer body inventory that is making you your money.....

View attachment 3937

Nice Red Drum John!

Unfortunately, you're going to have to play this game as long as you're dependent on third parties for your lead gen.

But if you're ever out here in Orange County CA, hit me up if you want to take a shot at catching something big with some real teeth. :)

Nice Red Drum John!

Thanks! Unfortunately that bull red was from last year - mullet run was non-existent this year after two hurricanes.......

Not dependent on 3rd parties for lead gen by any means but if you want to sell 3600+ used cars a year on a shoe string budget, you got to be on at least some 3rd party listings. Need them eyeballs :eek3: Spend $13,244/mo between 4 stores on Cars.com, AT, Cargurus, Craigslist, & FB marketplace. CarGurus is by FARRR the largest check to write every month so they get cut the least amount slack.

Reactions: Alexander Lau