• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

New Google SEO Tool - Web.dev

ChrisR

Boss
Oct 12, 2015
Awards
First Name
Christian
Just saw that Google released Web.dev today, to perform SEO audits.

Running them on our OEM mandated DDC site, along with a lot of my competition, is showing a severe trend of poor performance, slow load times, along with a number of other issues. Some are provider caused, some are from us.

I'll be fixing what I can, but something tells me I will not get anywhere with bringing up the page load issues Google is mentioning.

Yeah, saw that over at Search Engine Land, but it's not going to have a lot of impact, IMO.

Will our search rankings improve if we fix the descriptive text issue with our links? I doubt it. But overall, Google hopes that if you take these factors into consideration, it will lead to a better user experience for your users on your web site. A better user experience may lead to more happy visitors, more links, more social shares and who knows — maybe better rankings in Google as a result.

Last edited:
Reactions: C Dorman
I just tried the tool, but kept getting 500 Internal Server Errors. Guessing it's a little busy :)

When it comes to DDC sites, word is that they have an issue with their GTM that they have known about for a long time that they refuse to fix. They have plenty of other issues too, but this one seems to really hurt DDC sites a lot.

It's really quite simple for dealers, forget about OEM and Co-op. If you're relying on them for anything, you're at a serious disadvantage to any dealership that knows what it's doing with their own website and digital marketing. The best a dealer can do is get what little out of OEM/Co-op programs they can given the limited choices and over inflated prices. Under no circumstances should a dealer spend any of their own money with Co-op vendors.

It'll take a lot to convince me that Google actually wants you to rank and would release a tool that helps boost your rankings in any considerable way. They are money hungry and want your PPC dollars guaranteed. I'll typically look at these factors showing in web.dev after I make sure all of my on-page, link building, off-page, citations, and more are all ironed out.

If I absolutely can't rank after all of my best efforts, then I will look at "Estimated Input Latency" - whatever the hell that means.

My guess is that they tell you your SEO is 100%, just so that way you don't actually do ANY SEO on your website LOL! Get out of here Google.

Would love to make a video on how to actually give your website an audit using tools that aren't made by money hungry google.

Asking Google for an SEO audit is like a customer asking a car salesman if they are getting a good deal.

:google:

I had no idea this was the same type of functionality in lighthouse. As some of you have said, I wouldn't trust anything that comes out of Google's mouth in terms of SEO (without breakdowns and even then). Again, it makes me wonder why they don't purchase some of the granular SEO audit apps or create their own proprietary solution. Do they truly want to report in clarity?