• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Cargurus, Please tell me how this benefits your customer (aka... The Dealer)????

saw this on one of the FB groups the other day. Seems fitting for this thread.

Sfd0da3.jpg

Reactions: Alexander Lau
Assuming you have had the conversation with CG support (@Tallcool1 and @Mike Robbins) about what information is available in your inventory file that they can map to correct those issues? 75% sounds really high for issues. In my experience I have found that a couple (and they aren't fun because it takes some digging) phone calls and screen-shares can knock out the issues really quick with any trim, options, color, drivetrain, etc issues. CG has no interest in giving incorrect information to their shoppers either so they'll be motivated to find a solution with you.

saw this on one of the FB groups the other day. Seems fitting for this thread.

Sfd0da3.jpg
Isn't that showing the difference though between vAuto comparison of MARKET PRICE by LISTINGS in your market and then CG is comparing you to actual SOLD pricing (transactional pricing)? I've always found that even I start to blur the lines between MARKET PRICE and actual SELLING PRICE data. Two very different data sets. This would be the key difference between data scraping for LISTING PRICE vs someone having access to your transactional data, like TrueCar, where they know what it SOLD for. Comparing LISTING PRICE and SOLD price are not the same thing. Thoughts?

[EDIT] Apparently, I'm wrong (that never happens ;). Used ratings on CG are based on Listings comparison. So, that is a great question for a GC rep in the example above. BUT still want to point out that asking if data is Listing Comparison or Sold Comparison is key.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Alexander Lau
@Dan Sayer , we have in fact talked with CarGurus about the inaccuracies within their decoding system. Their response is simply to be sure to verify trim and options every time we upload a fresh unit.

As for the example @Chris Leslie shared, I am of the belief that the data on the CarGurus side is in fact Market Price by Listings. That data is not based upon what the vehicles in the comparison set actually sold for. I say this because CarGurus does not have access to DMS data. I have been a subscribing CarGurus dealer for many years, and have never given sold vehicle data. In addition, I don't personally know anyone that does give CarGurus any sold vehicle data. With that said, even if the data was based upon Sold units I would not be comfortable with those numbers because of the holes in their decoding system. How accurate would that data be?

Ultimately, I believe that the problem here is that the vendors forget who their customer is. I just had this conversation with AutoTrader and their Good Price, Fair Price badge that they are now placing on the SRP via KBB data. This happened in an open forum at my state association meeting. I asked why they felt the need to put that information on the vehicles and was accused of "not being transparent" and trying to "hide information from the customer"......to which I replied......I thought the dealers were your customer.

Dan, you wrote: "...what information is available in your inventory file that they can map to correct those issues?"

Dan, you've described a solution to a cause.
SOLUTION: CarGurus options error(s) is fixed with an inventory file from the dealer.
CAUSE: CarGurus elects to scrape the dealer's site AND not normalize that data.

WHY?: This is conjecture:
  1. It costs time and money to get each dealer's feed
  2. Less info creates more leads*

Dan, its nice that CG will automate the solution. I will pass that to my dealers. BUT, what of the ongoing SNAFU? This is nuts.

Assuming you have had the conversation with CG support (@Tallcool1 and @Mike Robbins) about what information is available in your inventory file that they can map to correct those issues? 75% sounds really high for issues. In my experience I have found that a couple (and they aren't fun because it takes some digging) phone calls and screen-shares can knock out the issues really quick with any trim, options, color, drivetrain, etc issues. CG has no interest in giving incorrect information to their shoppers either so they'll be motivated to find a solution with you.

Dan, you wrote: "...what information is available in your inventory file that they can map to correct those issues?"

Dan, you've described a solution to a cause.
SOLUTION: CarGurus options error(s) is fixed with an inventory file from the dealer.
CAUSE: CarGurus elects to scrape the dealer's site AND not normalize that data.

WHY?: This is conjecture:
  1. It costs time and money to get each dealer's feed
  2. Less info creates more leads*

Dan, its nice that CG will automate the solution. I will pass that to my dealers. BUT, what of the ongoing SNAFU? This is nuts.
They aren't scraping our data, we send them a feed that has all the information needed. That is what I'm confused about. They would rather have a data feed and not scrape. Maybe the smaller dealers don't have an IMS? and so they are scraping...?

They aren't scraping our data, we send them a feed that has all the information needed. That is what I'm confused about. They would rather have a data feed and not scrape. Maybe the smaller dealers don't have an IMS? and so they are scraping...?
Do you have verifiable data that shows them using feeds only. I'm guessing they might do both to get as much as they can at all points or scrape when they need to scrape. I could be very wrong. Agreed, on big vs. little in terms of feed vs. no feed availability.

@Dan Sayer , we have in fact talked with CarGurus about the inaccuracies within their decoding system. Their response is simply to be sure to verify trim and options every time we upload a fresh unit.

As for the example @Chris Leslie shared, I am of the belief that the data on the CarGurus side is in fact Market Price by Listings. That data is not based upon what the vehicles in the comparison set actually sold for. I say this because CarGurus does not have access to DMS data. I have been a subscribing CarGurus dealer for many years, and have never given sold vehicle data. In addition, I don't personally know anyone that does give CarGurus any sold vehicle data. With that said, even if the data was based upon Sold units I would not be comfortable with those numbers because of the holes in their decoding system. How accurate would that data be?

Ultimately, I believe that the problem here is that the vendors forget who their customer is. I just had this conversation with AutoTrader and their Good Price, Fair Price badge that they are now placing on the SRP via KBB data. This happened in an open forum at my state association meeting. I asked why they felt the need to put that information on the vehicles and was accused of "not being transparent" and trying to "hide information from the customer"......to which I replied......I thought the dealers were your customer.
@Tallcool1 I would challenge you to get on the phone with them and ask for their "inventory or data" team. When you say "decoding" that is assuming they are getting all the information needed from an VIN explosion (limited information between OEMs). Open your inventory export file (assuming you have an IMS, right?) and make sure you are sending the information that your Internet guy is saying is missing from the listing. Not saying you don't know your business but in my experience on both sides of the fence here, there is typically a solution once you get the right people on the phone. If you need help, call me. Us Nebraska boys gotta stick together.

Reactions: Tallcool1

Dan, This CarGurus thing is getting active on my end. I just took a call from a inventory manager who is trying to fix the options and has no idea. HE's just been told by CarGurus that IF the options they upload (from vAUto) don't match their options, word for word, it won't work.

upload_2018-11-29_10-56-38.png

Last edited: