• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

I’m Tired of Hearing That Car Dealers are ‘So Behind the Rest of the World!’

I find it ironic that every one points out the pricing, rebates and discounts that Dealers use to sell cars but not one mention about retail in the clothing business?! I recently went to a clothing store and couldn't find anyone to help me. They were too busy updating pricing discounts for their display items. I bought a pair of pants and socks. Guess how much money I supposedly saved? The receipt that I was handed, proudly stated $46.00! I mentioned the fact that they could probably save time and money by pricing the pants to market and not spending so much time and effort on making customers feel like they got a great deal. The clerk simply stated "How did that work for JcPenny?". I thought about his remark as I drove home. He is right. JcPenny tried to become a one price store and sales fell like a rock. Seems consumers say one thing but support another with their dollar.

100% agree. Every type of businesses are playing by different rules and some are better than others to make it work in their favor. The jewelry market is one of them too. Everything's always 50% off... makes you wonder.

Take a step out of the auto industry and work with other types of retail businesses and you'll realize the grass is not always greener. I'm looking at you healthcare, real estate!

Truer words have never been spoken. My company just recently rolled up Real Estate with Automotive and I've been digging in to learn more about the RE vertical. Amazed by the lack of sophistication in most of their marketing efforts. Most similar to automotive, though, is the proliferation of 3rd party listing sites (Redfin, Trulia, Zillow, etc) and little to no effort to counter or best their efforts.

Reactions: Marc Lavoie