• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Google Store Visits Attribution Now Available in Google ANALYTICS!

I would agree with that statement. Has nothing to do with Google looking good. Granted, they could fiddle with their own products, but not 3rd party automotive channels against showroom visits. One reason to break these down

Wait... We actually think Google would have released this if their data looked worse than other sources in general? A billion-dollar tech company?

Wait... We actually think Google would have released this if their data looked worse than other sources in general? A billion-dollar tech company?
I'm not saying they don't have a ploy here and it's probably to support their attribution tool (inject historical data into it, in the future) and potentially for comparison reasons (but come on, who is going to quit them with their reach). There are plenty of tools within Google Analytics that aren't set up to make them look good, per se. Plenty of mechanisms that allow users to measure indiscriminately. *See Attribution within Google Analytics and the ability to inject spend against goals to determine a channel's cost per acquisition, etc.

It's a play to keep users engaged within their entire stack. Ads + Analytics + Attribution = The Triumvirate.

I'm not saying they don't have a ploy here and it's probably to support their attribution tool (inject historical data into it, in the future) and potentially for comparison reasons (but come on, who is going to quite them with their reach). There are plenty of tools within Google Analytics that aren't set up to make them look good, per se. Plenty of mechanisms that allow users to measure indiscriminately. *See Attribution within Google Analytics and the ability to inject spend against goals to determine a channel's cost per acquisition, etc.

I agree with all of above. I just believe a metric as powerful as "Store Visits" would have been tested a million different ways to ensure this is a positive metric for them to reach.

I wasn't doubting the metrics validity or power. I just sometimes feel Google has a business in which they tell us what to measure, how to measure, and how to advertise.

That all being said, I guess I am just jealous I didn't invent Google... That's the moral of the story.

Last edited:
I understand that Chip. I am just saying, would Google release this if they didn't look good?
Google isn't going to look good on a lot of automotive accounts because of how badly they are run and how much they are being overcharged. But they don't have any choice, competition from Facebook and Amazon are forcing their hand.

And.... there's another way of actually tracking sales that goes way beyond this that is totally beyond Google's control, so they really have no choice. Take a look at uncensored or hit me up direct and I'll show you.

Reactions: Alexander Lau
Reactions: C Dorman
Store visits "New vs. Returning" segmentation now available (Google Ads)
https://support.google.com/google-ads/answer/9172732

Advertisers who measure store visits can now better understand how many store visits come from new or repeat customers. Use these insights to tailor your messaging (e.g. promote offers specific to new customers) or adjust your marketing strategy to help reach your most valuable customer segment. For example, if your business goal is to maximize sales from existing customers, identify which campaigns and ad groups reach the most returning customers and focus your budgets, bid increases and keyword expansions there.

Ian, this is not Store Visits from Google Ads. This is Store Visits from Google Analytics. Two separate animals. Hit me up if you want to know how it works, it's a little too complicated to go into here.
Is the algorithm they use for reporting non-trackable users as store-visits in Adwords duplicated on the store visits reported in Analytics? I didn't realize that a majority of store visits reported from Google in Adwords aren't signed-in trackable physical visits but rather a custom algorithm. My co-worker insists that GA doesn't use that algorithm because of the difference GMB linking. Anyone have any resource from Google on this? I can only find the reference to algorithm as it pertains to Ads. @reverson, do you know?

Is the algorithm they use for reporting non-trackable users as store-visits in Adwords duplicated on the store visits reported in Analytics? I didn't realize that a majority of store visits reported from Google in Adwords aren't signed-in trackable physical visits but rather a custom algorithm. My co-worker insists that GA doesn't use that algorithm because of the difference GMB linking. Anyone have any resource from Google on this? I can only find the reference to algorithm as it pertains to Ads. @reverson, do you know?

@Dan Sayer slight correction and explanation to the custom algorithm/location discussion that I was trying to get at last night in Slack. I'd venture to guess the Google Analytics algorithm is similar to how the calculation in Google Ads, but there has to be additional data (besides GMB) that Google is using to determine the store location.

Remember our Analytics Property that is reporting store visits is gathering data from 10 different domains. Of those, only 5 are tied to a GMB listing. The group site is one of the main domains reporting store visits (on 6 store locations), which is not on any GMB listing.

Reactions: Alexander Lau