• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

AdWords Burn w/ Recent Purchasers

Jay Nelson

Full Sticker
Aug 15, 2018
First Name
Jay
We're wondering how much ad spend is wasted on clicks from customers who have recently purchased and simply looking to contact their store for titlework, we owe, delivery, etc. Has anyone ever looked at this before?

Does 10% sound like too much, or too little?

Any feedback is much appreciated.

J

We're wondering how much ad spend is wasted on clicks from customers who have recently purchased and simply looking to contact their store for titlework, we owe, delivery, etc. Has anyone ever looked at this before?

Does 10% sound like too much, or too little?

Any feedback is much appreciated.

J
It has to be significantly less than that. I'd see anywhere from 2% to 5%, but nothing more than that.

It has to be significantly less than that. I'd see anywhere from 2% to 5%, but nothing more than that.

Not only that but you have to assume the search was the name of your dealership. The CPC should be lower than most other campaigns. If it’s not, I would be checking it out.

Maybe @Steve Stauning has some insight on this...

Reactions: Steve Stauning
Not only that but you have to assume the search was the name of your dealership. The CPC should be lower than most other campaigns. If it’s not, I would be checking it out.

Yes, they should be coming in at a lower CPC, but the ROI on all "branded" clicks should be closely monitored. How many of these customers would've found you organically? Unless your dealership includes a city name (like Atlanta Toyota), there is almost no reason to bid on your own name. (No sound reason, anyway.)

Reactions: Marc Lavoie and Rob
I just did a quick report from our database on campaigns containing "brand" in the campaign name for our dealers. This is not perfectly accurate as this is across a lot of dealers and the naming convention for the campaign name is not universal when bidding on their own names.

Average spend per dealership in 2018 per month was $697, avg CPC $3.25, avg bounce rate was 37% and page views was 3.15

Sound like this is still a thing :dunno:

Edit: Just in case it's not clear, we only report on this, we don't perform paid search campaigns at DD