• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Microphone Suggestion for Video Replies

Thanks for sharing all the solid advice @ed.brooks - besides the fact that you have Alex shopping around and wanting for us to purchase new gear for #RefreshFriday.

yeti_blue_DealerRefresh.jpeg

I purchased the Yeti Blue mic a few years ago. It has a great sound to it but it picks up EVERYTHING, especially if it's on the same surface. There's no way of quieting the click't clack sound from the keyboard when typing. For this reason I wouldn't recommend it.

I too use the Rode NT-USB and love it for my situation -- working alone, in a quiet space. Given your situation and having the need for rejecting background noise, I would NOT recommend the NT-USB ($169). Nor would I recommend the Yeti ($100ish for the mic alone). I own both mics (the Yeti sounds great too @Alex Snyder, if you're wondering. I'm pretty sure that Joey Little still uses it).

The problem with both the NT-USB and the Yeti is they are condenser mics. These mics tend to pick up more background noise because they have higher sensitivity. The other option is a dynamic microphone such as the Shure SM57 ($100ish) that @Alexander Lau mentioned (I'd actually recommend the SM58 -- same capsule plus a pop filter). But you have to add a microphone interface to get the sound into your computer, like the Focusrite Scarlett -- that adds another $120 bucks or so AND another piece of gear.

You said you needed affordable. If I were in your shoes, I would look for an affordable dynamic USB (no need for an external interface) microphone. Without having personally owned and used it, I would think the Samson Q2U Handheld Dynamic USB Microphone might work great. You could add a boom arm and an external pop filter and still be under $75. Good Luck!

Thanks for the details Ed! Definitely need to make sure we don't pick up background noise. I will be looking into the options you sent over & update once we make a purchase & get some use out of them.

If you can wait a bit @Alex Snyder, Rode has announced a mic that may be right for your needs. The Rode PodMic is a Dynamic Microphone (better at rejecting extraneous sounds) with an XLR connector for use with an audio interface like the Focusrite. Some UK websites have it listed for pre-sale at around 100 pounds. That's about $130 US.

I've personally bought the Ice Snowball by Blue and it's amazing value for a starter kit. Keep in mind it's USB so you wont be able to connect it directly to a smartphone if that's your plan.

Will look into that one, for this particular project, USB is fine, as we are using PC Based web cams for the videos.

Thanks!

An aside/update: Picked up the Rode VideoMicro that was originally suggested. I have been testing it a little on my phone in the BDC room, seems to be OK, but the agents were self conscious that I was in there recording, so I think they may have been talking more quietly than they usually would.

More updates to come, as we get to using the microphone more.