• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Tesla Reality Check?

Reactions: john.quinn
I think it's cool and natural to "Ooooh" and "Ahhhh" at the glitz and bling. To compare the shiny widget to the old drab cog. Who wouldn't?

But here's the thing...

I was a large part (yes, that's a fat joke...) of the coolest, hippest, shiniest automotive CRM system to EVER hit the marketplace. There's was no close 2nd... we were IT, and everyone who saw it, knew it.

And everyone who used it was very upset when they were told they couldn't have it anymore. As cool as it was, as technically superior to everything else in existence, it does not exist today. It didn't have the marketshare when it came time to make a decision. And poof.

It's about the Benjamins. Always.

Reactions: Chris Cachor
Tesla plays their own game, and there's few people playing along, but they're not even in THE game, the real game.

You're right - they're playing their own game right now. 400k cars/yr is small time when you look at what Ford/GM sell in light duty pickups alone. They've disrupted BMW/Mercedes-Benz in the mid-size sport sedan segment, and I think that's important, but that's really the only place the impact has been felt so far.

However, the worldwide automotive market is transitioning to EV, especially China, so I think the game is going to change, and that's what's going to keep CEOs up at night. The way these businesses run will fundamentally change, so adapting not only their product but their companies will be challenging.

Reactions: john.quinn
The Brussels Times - Electric vehicles emit more CO2 than diesel ones, German study shows
http://brusselstimes.com/business/t...more-co2-than-diesel-ones,-german-study-shows

When CO2 emissions linked to the production of batteries and the German energy mix - in which coal still plays an important role - are taken into consideration, electric vehicles emit 11% to 28% more than their diesel counterparts, according to the study, presented on Wednesday at the Ifo Institute in Munich.

So I just rented a Model 3 for a couple days to see what driving it's like - and it definitely is the real deal. I got the same feeling I did when I held the first iPhone. This one doesn't have AutoPilot so I can't really comment there, but just the software is incredible. The thing is cool. I'd like to see what the Model S is like but I will say they're on another level. Compared to a BMW 3/5 Series Tesla has them beat.

Reactions: craigh
They are definitely very fun to drive (or boring if you use autopilot..), very quick, and have some great tech in them! Definitely reminds you of the first iPhone you had! Buddy of mine has one that I drove, and the autopilot works pretty well, but definitely not on hilly / curvy roads.

Reactions: Chris Cachor
Congratulations, Elon, you just announced something that Amazon has over a thousand listings for - well done.

But this one is going to be quiet and probably cost $500 - the sad reality is that there's probably a market for that.
People will buy it for the cool factor and because it's "quiet".
Will probably be the equivalent of a Dyson leaf blower.

But they really haven't. That's like saying Fiddlehead has changed the way people drink beer. Sure some people like Fiddlehead. But walk into a Budweiser factory, and they say, "Fiddlewhat??" I mean, Tesla is nowhere near as successful as RC Cola.

Tesla plays their own game, and there's few people playing along, but they're not even in THE game, the real game.

Isn't that the very definition of Niche? I mean think about it... if it wasn't for the magnanimous personality, whose public speaking and predictions are as eloquent and vibrant as they are misleading and just plain wrong, would we have even noticed this company? I mean, how many other companies with zero marketshare get this much attention?

tenor.gif