• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Are You Worried About Duplicate Content for Your Dealership Website? You Should Be.

Christopher Reggie

Rust & Dust
Jul 31, 2019
Awards
First Name
Christopher
Long time listener, first time caller.

Just dropped a new blog about some pretty crazy duplicate content I've been seeing on dealership websites. Check it out and let me know what you think. Thanks!

View blog: https://bit.ly/331qZkv

Screen-Shot-2019-07-26-at-3.54.01-PM.png

- Christopher Reggie
Digital 1 Group
www.Digital1Group.com

Reactions: Chance Mayfield
Long time listener, first time caller.

Just dropped a new blog about some pretty crazy duplicate content I've been seeing on dealership websites. Check it out and let me know what you think. Thanks!

View blog: https://bit.ly/331qZkv

Screen-Shot-2019-07-26-at-3.54.01-PM.png

- Christopher Reggie
Digital 1 Group
www.Digital1Group.com

Thanks for highlighting this, @Christopher Reggie. Duplicate content is a HUGE no-no. This isn't just limited to the SEO. The same goes for duplicate content on social media. How can a dealer differentiate their store in the digital space from the store in the next town over if they are utilizing the same content? They can't.

A custom SEO and social media strategy is the only way to do that, and if a dealer can't confirm with their provider that they are the only ones that are receiving the content that is being used to promote their dealership, it's time for the warning flags to go up!

#syndicationisadirtyword

I personally can't stand the images that FCA pushes for slides on their dealership network's websites. They aren't well designed - and the bigger problem is that they are all THE SAME. No dealership logo, no geographic specific content. Just the same sliders for every CDJR dealership in the US. This isn't just FCA but a lot of the OEM's, that being said I feel domestic brands are the worst - and don't want their dealerships to have flexibility.

You should be designing your own content, even if you utilize assets from your manufacturer to design them. Just make yours different enough to stand out.

I personally can't stand the images that FCA pushes for slides on their dealership network's websites. They aren't well designed - and the bigger problem is that they are all THE SAME. No dealership logo, no geographic specific content. Just the same sliders for every CDJR dealership in the US. This isn't just FCA but a lot of the OEM's, that being said I feel domestic brands are the worst - and don't want their dealerships to have flexibility.

You should be designing your own content, even if you utilize assets from your manufacturer to design them. Just make yours different enough to stand out.

Agreed, @Zach Houseknecht but at the end of the day, it all comes down to time and the comfort of the dealership to create that content in-house. Some dealerships have a content rock star that can create on-brand, consistent content, but others don't. If a dealer has to look to an agency, they should be looking for a group that can guarantee that they will receive quality, custom content.

You're absolutely correct @TabFlythe. I think that's another problem with the industry as a whole. Not placing enough importance on custom or dealership specific content. Even the ad agencies create decent content, but don't focus on making things that stand out for each dealership - it's kinda copy and paste.

Another option that popped up on another thread is utilizing freelancers.

However, as a freelance writer, I've seen and heard of too many horror stories from companies hiring freelancers and getting barely readable content. However, if you're being smart with how you're finding a freelancer and how you decide how to hire a freelancer, you can get much better results.

Oh, and making sure that they're ready to make edits should they have everything completely wrong with what they give you. Don't let them get paid and dip out.

I don't know how much that helps in a dealership, but I feel like that's a possible solution! :D

You're absolutely correct @TabFlythe. I think that's another problem with the industry as a whole. Not placing enough importance on custom or dealership specific content. Even the ad agencies create decent content, but don't focus on making things that stand out for each dealership - it's kinda copy and paste.

I happen to know one that doesn't do that... ;) @Zach Houseknecht

Freelancers are awesome for projects that can't be handled in-house @Brittany. Typically I think you are on the safer side if you can get a referral from another business or dealer that has hired freelancers in the past.

Reactions: Brittany