• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

iPhones will send calls to voicemail in iOS13

Alex Snyder

President Skroob
Staff member
May 1, 2006
Awards
First Name
Alex
Yesterday was an Apple event that was fairly :yawn: in my opinion. But many of the rumors are now official and one of those will impact our follow up processes.

If a caller is not recognized in someone's contacts then that caller will go straight to voicemail.

That is an option iOS13 will have available to iPhone users. And I can only imagine it will be WIDELY used! It will be one of the first things I turn on. Android will probably follow that feature quickly. Who doesn't want to block nearly 100% of calls where less than 2% are actually worth taking and those calls can be returned.
Robocall bastards :rocket:

Soooooo.... it is time to hone the voicemail skills and lower the expectations on outbound phone calls. What else?

I am not an iPhone user, so seldom follow their new releases. There are a lot if iPhone users in my market. I would estimate 75%.

A couple questions that come to mind for me are:

1. Will older iPhone models get this technology with a future Apple update?

2. Will ringless voicemail be extremely valuable as a follow up tool? Will iPhone user behavior move toward monitoring voicemail more closely now that any non-contact will automatically flow there? Ringless Voicemail may benefit from this technology?

Hmmmmm

1. Will older iPhone models get this technology with a future Apple update?

Any model that can upgrade to iOS13 will have that technology. I'm not sure where Apple is drawing the support line.

2. Will ringless voicemail be extremely valuable as a follow up tool? Will iPhone user behavior move toward monitoring voicemail more closely now that any non-contact will automatically flow there? Ringless Voicemail may benefit from this technology?

:light: ringless voicemail might be a good way to be more efficient in a non-human-answering world. Good idea Clint!

I would also expect a slow drop in CRM call-activity reporting metrics over time. Don't get too upset with the sales staff (this statement is not directed at you Clint).

Reactions: Tallcool1
Ok... What this tells me is, with iOS13, unknown callers will be able to leave a VM maybe 30% of the time. 30% of the time mainly because peoples VM mailbox is pretty much going to be full 100% of the time and callers will not be able to leave any type of message. We might better start looking at other Comm methods guys.

I like this feature. Can't wait to enable it myself - that being said I also utilize AT&T's Call Protect and it has cut down on robo/teletmarketing calls that I have recieved.

Ok... What this tells me is, with iOS13, unknown callers will be able to leave a VM maybe 30% of the time. 30% of the time mainly because peoples VM mailbox is pretty much going to be full 100% of the time and callers will not be able to leave any type of message. We might better start looking at other Comm methods guys.

Carriers will vary with this, but Verizon includes storage of up to 40 iPhone Visual Voicemail messages at 3 minutes each. iPhones also annoy you with the little bubble indicator on your phone that you have a voicemail, encouraging you to actually check and remove them. That being said I know people with 1,000+ unread bubbles next to their e-mail app, so who knows...

I think we'll need to get more people to opt-in to texting, or just being better with e-mail. I feel people as a whole are moving away from talking on the phone anyways. It's not super effective with people either in school or at a day job that doesn't afford them the ability to just pick up the phone while working.

Reactions: Brittany
We might better start looking at other Comm methods guys

This is a great incentive for dealerships to finally get on board with other communication avenues, such as texting, just as quickly as they would with calls. It's high time for that anyway :tiphat:

I like this feature. Can't wait to enable it myself

Same here! As long as it's something easy to turn on/off when needed, I'm pretty excited. I get like 15+ robo calls a day :yawn:

Another question that I have is, is there something else bigger thats going on here? This is a for sure way to kill unknown inbound callers but just a few months ago, Apple rolled out an update to Safari to block third-party tracking scripts as well.

• Useful
Reactions: Tallcool1
Another question that I have is, is there something else bigger thats going on here? This is a for sure way to kill unknown inbound callers but just a few months ago, Apple rolled out an update to Safari to block third-party tracking scripts as well.

Apple has a track record of supporting the consumer's privacy. It is becoming one of their brand identities. If there is something that allows an individual using an Apple product to not be tracked, they are moving in that direction.

Rick, I thought the same thing. I just wonder if people will become conditioned to keep their VM cleaned out. I have a lot of people saved in my contacts, but weekly will get a call from someone that is not saved...a call that I actually want or need.

Time will tell!!

Rick, I thought the same thing. I just wonder if people will become conditioned to keep their VM cleaned out. I have a lot of people saved in my contacts, but weekly will get a call from someone that is not saved...a call that I actually want or need.

Time will tell!!

I'll respond to texts and emails instantly, but am one of those people who will let voicemails sit for weeks without even checking the transcription.... Definitely points to other forms of communication for sales, but like you mentioned, also means as a customer you'll want to be mindful of this setting when waiting on a call you need.