• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Dealership Network - Existing Model Going Away?

DrewAment

Boss
Apr 30, 2009
Awards
First Name
Drew
A couple of articles here. Yes, they are in Europe. The manufactures are thinking longer term. Could this come to the U.S., and how might it affect us? I have made the statement before -- "If you are a family/generational and/or small dealership or group, might be time to rethink."

We have already seen some of the writing on the wall with EV and new model releases in the past 2-3 years, preorders on the OEM websites, etc. We are a resilient bunch of business owners, but what are we thinking longer term?

Reactions: craigh
I've been waiting for someone else to jump in here before posting. But I'm glad you struck this conversation up, Drew.

Ford tried to do this a long time ago. They underestimated how hard retail is. If every manufacturer went in on this together, I think they could pull it off. They'd have to shift the way cars are sold, and the consumer wouldn't like the transformation process.

The other tough part are the mega groups that are continuing to grow faster and faster. If the economy gets worse, they're going to buy more. Those groups are going to be tough to slice at the knees.

As for EVs, I still struggle to see how our current electrical grid is going to support them. I am so lost as to how we can finally achieve energy independence (giving us what could have been world peace) and throw all of it away in less than 1 year :dunno:

Reactions: craigh and John H
Ya, hard to believe no one else is chiming in... ;) The industry seems to think differently. Another Article link below. Yes, it is not US specific, but a good look at what the auto OEMs are thinking:

Source: https://www.autonews.com/sales/auto-industry-leaders-see-major-shift-selling-cars

In its annual Global Automotive Executive Survey released last week, KPMG found that 78 percent of the leaders who participated think most new-vehicle purchases will be conducted online by 2030.

Almost half of the executives (46 percent) think 60 percent or more of all new-vehicle sales worldwide will be by automakers directly to consumers in their home markets by 2030.