• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
Apr 13, 2012
Awards
First Name
George
⛽️ ⬆️ With fuel prices spiking, and no near-term anticipated drop, will we see a return to 2008, with low-MPG vehicle pricing dropping, as consumers flock to more fuel-efficient models?

Attached is a screenshot of a Google Trends report I ran this morning. With fuel prices at near record highs, this increase in searches for "miles per gallon" is no surprise.

It was amazing to me then, watching how elastic demand was for fuel-efficient vehicles, when gas prices jumped.

And these consumers were just as ready to jump back into less fuel-efficient trucks and SUVs, as prices fell.

Will this same pattern repeat?

The questions are:

1️⃣ What is your current used inventory mix in relation to fuel efficiency?

2️⃣ Are you seeing used prices fall faster for less fuel-efficient vehicles?

3️⃣ Are you seeing used prices hold or climb for more fuel-efficient vehicles?

We're hearing of some of these trends, but not yet a groundswell movement, please share share you're seeing.

miles_per_gallon_-_Explore_-_Google_Trends.jpg

• Useful
Reactions: craigh
⛽️ ⬆️ With fuel prices spiking, and no near-term anticipated drop, will we see a return to 2008, with low-MPG vehicle pricing dropping, as consumers flock to more fuel-efficient models?

Attached is a screenshot of a Google Trends report I ran this morning. With fuel prices at near record highs, this increase in searches for "miles per gallon" is no surprise.

It was amazing to me then, watching how elastic demand was for fuel-efficient vehicles, when gas prices jumped.

And these consumers were just as ready to jump back into less fuel-efficient trucks and SUVs, as prices fell.

Will this same pattern repeat?

The questions are:

1️⃣ What is your current used inventory mix in relation to fuel efficiency?

2️⃣ Are you seeing used prices fall faster for less fuel-efficient vehicles?

3️⃣ Are you seeing used prices hold or climb for more fuel-efficient vehicles?

We're hearing of some of these trends, but not yet a groundswell movement, please share share you're seeing.

View attachment 5868
We haven't seen much of an uptick, I think SUV's are a lot more fuel-efficient now than they were back in 2008, so that tapers a lot of the desire to rush into a more fuel-efficient car.

Not to mention there aren't very many sedan models left on the market to even choose from.

And when you look at hybrid and electric models they come at a large premium that would negate any gas savings.

Reactions: craigh