• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Adobe Creative Master suite for Mac

Craig

Boss
Apr 23, 2009
First Name
Craig
In looking to take my computer ability to the next level I'm interested in Adobe Creative Master Suite. I figure this will take me as far as I need for right now.

My question is I don't want to have to spend the 2000 plus for the software and I'm not into ripping pirate programs online. Has anyone used or heard of Best Software - greatest-software.net it looks like if you can live without the hard copies this is a decent low cost alternative.
Thanks, Craig

Craig,

My first question is: what are you going to be doing with the full Master Suite?

My second question is: doesn't that pricing look too good to be true?

I live in Adobe. Between myself and Checkered Flag, over the years, I've seen well into the 5 digit territory of Adobe software just for my machines alone. Between my NAPP membership and all the books, I can't even begin to fathom how much of a personal investment I have in their world. However, after moving from just Photoshop to Creative Suite CS2, CS3 Design for Web, and now Master Suite CS4 I have to say that over half the suite is unnecessary for my uses. I use Photoshop, Lightroom or Bridge, Illustrator, Acrobat, and Dreamweaver almost daily, but the rest sits idle unless I'm doing something very specific. I like having the other products there so I can learn them better, but what I'm trying to get at is you should think this purchase through if you're not proficient in anything but a certain portion of the suite.

On top of all that, if you're an Adobe noob, these programs are extremely frustrating. I'd put them on par with learning a foreign language. However, they're extremely rewarding when you do master them.

It has taken me years to get to where I am with Photoshop. I am an absolute master at the photography side of it - I can certainly hang with the pros and then some. But I am not a pro on the graphic design side. I can do enough to be a full time graphic designer at an ad agency, but I wouldn't call myself a master. It takes a lot of passion and investment to get to where I am, and quite a few years too.

I say that not to brag, but I see people who buy Photoshop on the photography forums I frequent, thinking that just owning the product is going to make them learn it. I then see these same folks a few weeks later bitching about how hard Photoshop is, and quitting. If you're in the latter group, I suggest not starting unless you have someone who can help you. I'm happy to answer some basic questions and show you some methods, but the lessons are best given in person.

So anyway, there are a few softwares that are expensive and deserve to be. Abobe builds a lot of them. Like a CRM, you need to give this a lot of thought before pulling the trigger. It is a bigger investment than most people think.

On top of all that, if you're an Adobe noob, these programs are extremely frustrating. I'd put them on par with learning a foreign language. However, they're extremely rewarding when you do master them.

It has taken me years to get to where I am with Photoshop. I am an absolute master at the photography side of it - I can certainly hang with the pros and then some. But I am not a pro on the graphic design side. I can do enough to be a full time graphic designer at an ad agency, but I wouldn't call myself a master. It takes a lot of passion and investment to get to where I am, and quite a few years too.

Alex,
Noob for sure here......but not without people who I'm sure will invest the hands on with me. I was looking at what it would take in order to truely own the ability to be envolved in our brand from the graphics, banner ads, vector art etc... which lead to to Master Suite as a complete graphic package capable of bringing me past where I need to be. The 300. price tag makes this a possibility....however the time envolved in learning this has me thinking maybe start with 1 or 2 programs and build as I go, only having the right combination of tools makes every job easier. If graphics and not photos are my main goal, where should I start?

I'll give you a call once I make the commitment and maybe you can walk me through a little.
Thanks, Craig

Start with Photoshop. I would just get it by itself. Once you've got a feel for that, then you can expand. I bet CS5 is out before you're even thinking about learning another Adobe program. Second up would be Illustrator.

If you have to buy a package, then get Web Design $1,699 MSRP. You can test any Adobe product for free for 30 days. I suggest buying the full version of Photoshop CS2 on eBay. You'll save a ton of money and the extra features of CS3 & CS4 are not worth it for you yet. When it comes time to upgrade, then you qualify for the much cheaper upgrade prices.

I agree with the foreign language comment! Ever since I spouted off that I could create a better flyer that the cheese our local newspaper comes up with I've been under the bus a few times and found a great resource to save my neck! The training site, Lynda.com has been exceedingly helpful in learning how to use Adobe programs for me! It's only a couple hundred bucks a year and it's saved me precious hours of google hunting for answers. There's a few other training sites out there that are great, including some good Adobe videos I've watched but for a small investment Lynda.com is totally bitchin!

Alex,
Noob for sure here......but not without people who I'm sure will invest the hands on with me. <snip> If graphics and not photos are my main goal, where should I start?

I'll give you a call once I make the commitment and maybe you can walk me through a little.
Thanks, Craig

Craig,

Everything revolves around your "intent".

If you buy a guitar with the intent to go make money with it (aka impress other people with your sellable product), it'll take years. Buying a better guitar may make the process take longer! It's really that simple.

Back to Intent...
...on the other hand, you love the intellectual journey of working with graphics, then screw the costs and the clock! Dive right in there and make a mess! It's great fun!

Thanks for all the great advice. I'm sure after starting I'll have more questions as to specific uses. It looks like photoshop by itself is going to be my starting point.
Alex,
Maybe we need a couple day meeting of the minds at Dealer.com in Burlington Vt.....some Adobe learning, some website best practices, maybe even invite Brian Pasch now that your on his client list as well. An extra day to snowboard Stowe might be nice in January:D