• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Adwords Gmail Sponsored Promotions Any One Using?

Hey Umer,

I use Gmail Sponsored Promotions on some of my clients. GSP targeting has all the main functionality you are accustomed to using with Google Display Network (GDN) campaigns, plus some unique targeting capabilities. GSP ads allow you to embed videos, use click-to-call phone numbers, and have form fields in your ad. They’re ideal for generating awareness and can generate cost effective conversions.

Here's my favorite targeting methods when I use GSP:

Domain Targeting
I've used Domain Targeting successfully for dealers in one of a few ways:
  • Targeting with companion products – For other advertisers, the domain targeting may be more useful not with direct competitors, but with “companion” products. For instance, if your Service center is offering parts and service coupons, targeting parts.com or www.gmpartsonline.net would allow you to hone in on customers looking for services you offer.
  • Targeting your own domain – You can target your own domain as a not-quite-remarketing strategy that supplements your email content and reaches users who may not open your actual emails.
  • Targeting competitors by domain – This a great strategy for many. For instance, if you're any dealership, you could target customers that get emails from your competitors domain.
  • Targeting personas by domain – If you’ve figured out a customer for a certain model is a busy working mom who shops at Target and has her groceries delivered by PeaPod you can use peapod.com and target.com to form the foundation of a target audience to expose your offer.

GSPs are a ‘push’ tactic, which makes them best for generating awareness primarily, rather than direct response actions.

You shouldn’t expect large volumes of hard sales to be generated by GSPs, but they work well at generating leads and sign-ups.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: John W. and JamieS
Hey Umer,

I use Gmail Sponsored Promotions on some of my clients. GSP targeting has all the main functionality you are accustomed to using with Google Display Network (GDN) campaigns, plus some unique targeting capabilities. GSP ads allow you to embed videos, use click-to-call phone numbers, and have form fields in your ad. They’re ideal for generating awareness and can generate cost effective conversions.

Here's my favorite targeting methods when I use GSP:

Domain Targeting
I've used Domain Targeting successfully for dealers in one of a few ways:
  • Targeting with companion products – For other advertisers, the domain targeting may be more useful not with direct competitors, but with “companion” products. For instance, if your Service center is offering parts and service coupons, targeting parts.com or www.gmpartsonline.net would allow you to hone in on customers looking for services you offer.
  • Targeting your own domain – You can target your own domain as a not-quite-remarketing strategy that supplements your email content and reaches users who may not open your actual emails.
  • Targeting competitors by domain – This a great strategy for many. For instance, if you're any dealership, you could target customers that get emails from your competitors domain.
  • Targeting personas by domain – If you’ve figured out a customer for a certain model is a busy working mom who shops at Target and has her groceries delivered by PeaPod you can use peapod.com and target.com to form the foundation of a target audience to expose your offer.

GSPs are a ‘push’ tactic, which makes them best for generating awareness primarily, rather than direct response actions.

You shouldn’t expect large volumes of hard sales to be generated by GSPs, but they work well at generating leads and sign-ups.

@mwpistell I've read something similar on Search Engine Land--are you seeing continued success with domain targeting now as you were in July, and can you speak to the efficacy of targeting prior purchase history?

@mwpistell I've read something similar on Search Engine Land--are you seeing continued success with domain targeting now as you were in July, and can you speak to the efficacy of targeting prior purchase history?

@Chubbard Yes, I'm still receiving positive engagement on my Gmail Sponsored campaigns. I'm at a point where I'm using scripts to dynamically create new ads in real time based on dealer inventory. It's a new feature that I'm using on some of my clients. Targeting on prior purchase history has been hit or miss in some accounts, I'm still refining that strategy.

@Chubbard we have stopped this process... as we were getting into too much time being spent on Customer Match data. Problem was on the CRM end it took us too much clicks and times to pull out emails of users who did not convert... load into ad words and re-target. If the CRMs had an API this would have been real nice.